1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To go to work tomorrow?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by sparklychar, Mar 10, 2016.

1. sparklychar

sparklychar New commenter

I've been off school all week with a really horrible cold, and to be honest, I don't feel well enough to be going in tomorrow. My chest hurts, and a trip to the supermarket then making dinner this evening wiped me out.

However - I'm getting very paranoid that school don't believe I'm ill, and its 2 weeks until my y11s have to have their coursework in. I know they aren't where they need to be, and they only have another 2 lessons with me in that time (split class). My lesson with them is also to be observed. Had a mad few weeks with taking out a trip and a school show, and my last set of observation grades slipped a bit due to it being in a second subject I'm not trained in. I've missed an options evening tonight, so I just feel like I'm going to be a pariah when I go back in. Partially I feel I need to go in tmrw to show them that I'm really sick!!!

I think they are going to say my y11s aren't making enough progress, and there isn't enough evidence of feedback - due to missing several lessons I've not been able to give any formative feedback written to my class on their coursework.

Just feels like a total mess. If I don't go tmrw, I'll be going to the doctor and asking for proof that I'm ill!!!!

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

You will probably need a GP note anyways if you are off sick for a week.
    I would go to the GP and follow their advice.
    Worst comes to worse you could take some day nurse and come in on the days you really need to be there but I would probably stay home until I'm better. Also because you don't want to infect the kids. However, I teach primary age kids so don't have to worry about coursework.
    Hope you feel better soon!