1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To go part-time or not to go part-time!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by dt tech, Jun 21, 2011.

1. I have been teaching for 9 years (am 32yr's old) and enjoy teaching my own subject which is Design and Technology. Due to re-structures in the school my timetable can not be filled by this subject so this year I have taught Art and PE which I have quite enjoyed and have a backgroud in through hobbies.
    Looking towards sept 2011 My timetable is going to be very short again but this year there is no spear lesson that I can pick up in Art or PE and as of yet the school has not been able to tell me what I am going to be tecahing in this time.
    The big question is do I go part-time and if I do what effect will this have on my future career. At the mowment I do not want responsiblity and am happy just being a teacher, but this might change. I have thought of asking if I do go part-time, if this can be just for the year and re-view it at the end of the year.
    Any advise more than welcom. I have a meeting with the head in Thursday an feel I need to have made some sort of desision by then.

2. I have been teaching for 9 years (am 32yr's old) and enjoy teaching my own subject which is Design and Technology. Due to re-structures in the school my timetable can not be filled by this subject so this year I have taught Art and PE which I have quite enjoyed and have a backgroud in through hobbies.
    Looking towards sept 2011 My timetable is going to be very short again but this year there is no spear lesson that I can pick up in Art or PE and as of yet the school has not been able to tell me what I am going to be tecahing in this time.
    The big question is do I go part-time and if I do what effect will this have on my future career. At the mowment I do not want responsiblity and am happy just being a teacher, but this might change. I have thought of asking if I do go part-time, if this can be just for the year and re-view it at the end of the year.
    Any advise more than welcom. I have a meeting with the head in Thursday an feel I need to have made some sort of desision by then.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

In the current climate, my instinctive advice would be to avoid that course of action, and remain full time even if it does mean 'broadening' your teaching experience for the moment.

1. The school do not have to accept your request to go part time - or indeed consider it unless you have dependant children under the age of 5.
    2. Part time pay means reduction in pension contributions. Be sure you want to do this at this time.
    3. Part time would, if the situation arose in the future, mean less redundancy pay out.
    4. If the school grant your request and make your post a part time one, they have no requirement to review it and move it back to a full time one in the future.

4. Go part-time. You won't have to see the little brats as much as your fulltime colleagues,

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I am PT and find I have so much energy. I have very few down days because I am knackered or bored or things are getting on top of me. I may still go back to full time now my children are older, but if financially things stay the same I would rather stay PT.