1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

to go part time or not - that is the question

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by jonowen, Jan 19, 2012.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

How do you know when to go part time is the right thing to do? I feel very weary, very little enthusiasm and my get up and go has defin8tly gone! Seriously, I always said when our kids no longer depended on us financially I would go part time; then that was the case and I thought when I was 50 I'll go part time (3 years ago now) and now I'm thinking when I'm 55............I just would love to get off the treadmill of up at 6am, out by 7am, school by 8am home by 5pm (unless it's a late night when it's home by 6pm).
    Every Friday is housework, every Sat is shopping and Sunday is getting ready for Monday again..........and so it goes on. If only I had one day during the week when I could catch up properly, not rushing after a day's school, then I'd feel less stressed (I think). Then I think, well, I know it's the worst time of year - maybe I should not be making important decisions when I'm feeling low anyway? I know as well that jobs are scarce and I should be grateful I am employed, I like my school, kids are not too bad but I feel I'm failing them cos' I feel so wrung out of new ideas.
    Thanks for reading this - I've been pondering over it all for ages and just to share my thoughts is a help.
    [​IMG]

2. jonowen

How do you know when to go part time is the right thing to do? I feel very weary, very little enthusiasm and my get up and go has defin8tly gone! Seriously, I always said when our kids no longer depended on us financially I would go part time; then that was the case and I thought when I was 50 I'll go part time (3 years ago now) and now I'm thinking when I'm 55............I just would love to get off the treadmill of up at 6am, out by 7am, school by 8am home by 5pm (unless it's a late night when it's home by 6pm).
    Every Friday is housework, every Sat is shopping and Sunday is getting ready for Monday again..........and so it goes on. If only I had one day during the week when I could catch up properly, not rushing after a day's school, then I'd feel less stressed (I think). Then I think, well, I know it's the worst time of year - maybe I should not be making important decisions when I'm feeling low anyway? I know as well that jobs are scarce and I should be grateful I am employed, I like my school, kids are not too bad but I feel I'm failing them cos' I feel so wrung out of new ideas.
    Thanks for reading this - I've been pondering over it all for ages and just to share my thoughts is a help.
    [​IMG]

3. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

If you can afford it then the time is now. You'll enjoy life more and have more energy for school when you are there. Now the only question is how many days to drop.

4. jonowen

Thanks Ruthie, I teach more than one subject so my timetable is negotiable - I have my ideal new timetable planned in my head (I think........)

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You have nothing to lose by approaching your Head with the suggestion. There's plenty of time now to make new timetable arrangements, for which your Head will probably appreciate an early discussion.
    <u>Don't mention anything negative</u> which would suggest you're finding the job 'too much' though or they might be looking at 'easing you out'. Suggest something like you'd like to 'ease down your hours 'in perparation for retirement' and unlock an opportunity for a youngster or NQT to start on their career. Anything which suggest the school (others) will gain by this.
    However if you're looking at finding another pt post in another school prospects may not be so good.

6. If I could afford to work part time then I would. Having had a bit of time off because of depression etc I have realised just how knackered, physically and mentally, I had become. It is only this week that I have started to realise that life should be more than work. Unfortunately for me I can't afford to go part time because I'm the sole earner [​IMG]

7. jonowen

I plan to see out my teaching career at my present school as I it's the best job I've had. I just feel worn out. My health is good so I know I'm lucky, but travelling 450 miles back and forth each week is taking its toll. The "work ethic" both Mr.Jo and I were brought up with was to work as damned hard as you can and be grateful for a job and this is why I'm finding hard to make a decision (I feel a bit like Hamlet with his internal torment over whatever it was he couldn't decide on)

8. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hi, I work 0.7 and having an extra day off and having a part time day makes life a lot easier. I never seem to have marking to do in the evenings and always manage to have my lessons planned during the school day during my free's.
    I still find it stressful but that is due to the school I am in, I think being part time has stopped me having a breakdown.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So use that " travelling 450 miles back and forth each week" as your 'positive' reason for wanting them to consider your reduction in hours.
    Something like; 'You want to continue at the school, as you really appreciate working there and want to give your students of your best, but because of your family commitments, involving lengthy visits, you would likethem to consider reducing your hours.'

10. scilab

scilab New commenter

I work 0.8 at the moment, and have a full day off, and am contemplating going back full time after 14 years part time. I absolutely love my one day not at work - it's a real chance for a day off - a chance to just recharge, do things at my pace for a short while, and rest. I may have to go back full time next year, mostly for financial reasons, and I'm trying to convince myself it won't be too bad, I will cope, I won't miss my day off too much...at the moment it's not working and I am really not convinced at all!
    If you can work part time, I'd go for it - it'll probably do you the world of good, and the school will benefit from a happier teacher [​IMG]

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Have worked part-time for over 20 years and would heartily recommend it! [​IMG]

12. jonowen

Right, serious thinking time over the weekend to balance the books and think of my dreams!
    Thanks for all these replies [​IMG]

13. I don't work on Fridays and always plan for a really productive day then waste it on here and playing Scrabble!! How sad is that?
    Go for it though. [​IMG]

14. I totally agree with the other posters on here! If you can afford it and can 'sell' your 'ideal part-time timetable' and reasons for changing to it to the Head or other powers that be, then go for it! The school will probably love it because you'll be saving them some dosh in various ways which are too lengthy to write on here. ;-)

Good luck with your request!

15. ljr

ljr New commenter

I went part time in September - it was the best thing I ever did! I was feeling just like you and at 57 luckily I could afford to do it. Life at home is so much better - the household jobs get done in the week, giving us time to be a couple again in the evenings and weekends. I still feel guilty though - I feel that as I'm able to I should still be working, but just seeing my oh's face when I dish up a delicious dinner makes the guilt easier to live with. I now really enjoy my time at school, I'm back to my enthusiastic self, which is so much better for my classes. Highly recommended!

16. jonowen

This is what I need to hear! [​IMG]

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

As this has been a long thought about plan I think you should go for it. You're not going in a fit of pique or a bout of depression, It sounds like you know what you want. Good luck.

18. If you can afford it - do it. You don't know how much longer you have your health and energy to enjoy your part time days. You are young and I'd retire if I were you - why wait until you're 65 and shattered? If you're feeling some kind of weird guilt - how about thinking that by going part time you're enabling a mum to return to work part time, someone without work to get it or your friends and family to get more treats and visits from you as you'll have the energy and time to show those nearest to you that you love them. Win-win.

19. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

I'd say do it. I work part time. Minimum 2 days, but sometimes 4 or 5 if required. I have just worked full time for 3 weeks and am missing my days off. As you said, it can feel like a treadmill. I have other responsibilities which involve early mornings and evenings, meaning that I regularly leave home at 7.30 and don't get home until between 7.30 and 8. Just to have a couple of days when these responsibilities can be carried out at my leisure is great. I also have family who I can visit on days off through the week, rather than trying to do everything at weekends. Would not like to work FT again.

20. chuk

chuk New commenter

JUST DO IT! YOU WILL NOT LOOK BACK!