1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To go or not to go ....

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by littlevanner, Sep 12, 2018.

1. littlevanner

littlevanner New commenter

Hi
    I have been a head for 14 years now and am 57 in the Autumn. I was planning to go in a couple of years but find myself really tired of it all. Not the children or indeed parents , though their unreasonable moans can be a bit much. I’m fed up of staff squabbles and intolerances.
    We have been judged outstanding for the last two inspections and the school I believe is a lovely place to work but there seems to be a lot of infighting.
    We are also facing almost unimaginable budget cuts for which I will need to do yet another restructure.
    Having always leapt out of bed I now find myself perpetually exhausted at the thought of going in.
    Do you think I am too old to apply for a headship elsewhere and would it give me back my mojo ?!
    Should I just go and try to find a completely different role somewhere else ?
    Sad to say it’s just the money and future pension that’s keeping me in place at the minute which feels wrong when I’ve worked so hard to get the school where it is today.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think the ongoing stress of running and managing a School judged outstanding is probably at the root of your dissatisfaction. having worked in such a School I do know many staff had to resort to Anti-depressants to cope with the stress involved.

Or you may feel you've pushed the school and staff as far as you possibly can and there's no 'new' challenges, just the ennuie?

'Technically' you'd have another 8 years of potential headship to offer anew School, but persuading a School you'd stay might be hard.

On a personal level I've known few Heads get past 60 and Heads of Outstanding ( we had 2 of them at that School) generally left at 55 or eve earlier.
    You say
    and that can often be a crunch factor in going early, so you get the chance to enjoy the end of your career free from the 'hassles' of Headship. Going onto consultancy or even being a Supply or eve an ordinary teacher could be an option?

Jamvic and eljefeb90 like this.
  3. littlevanner

Consultancy is an option, already doing a little, just not sure I’m motivated that way ! I Feel totally deskilled as a teacher though presumably it would come back ...

4. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

As a head teacher your pension and lump sum will surely be enough to live on. I was a humble head of faculty and took ARB at 57. My pension is enough for us to live on . My wife does not work but we had just paid off the mortgage and two of my three kids had got through university, just to.put things in context. Do you really need to work at all from a financial point of view?

Startedin82 likes this.
  5. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

If you are the head of a school judged outstanding, I would imagine a consultancy post would be relatively easy to come across, even in these straitened times.

Startedin82 likes this.
  6. littlevanner

Still got a fairly hefty mortgage though lump sum should cover it but then not a lot left for travel etc. I’d planned to overpay for the next three years to try to get it down.
    Lots to think on - than you for your replies, it helps to talk to people other than family and obviously can’t mention it at school.

Startedin82, Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The incentive of a good pension is not something to apologise for. If it keeps you going for another year or two why worry. Altruism is a much overrated virtue in my opinion. If you still do a good job it's win/win.

8. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

If you need to ask the question the answer is go.

Lara mfl 05 and Startedin82 like this.
  9. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

I’m a primary HT of 19 years standing (2 schools) and I’ve just put my notice in to go at Easter aged 59. Would have preferred Christmas but that would drop the school in it. Just had enough. Don’t know any HT who is planning to plough on to 60 - in fact I’m regarded as a bit eccentric to plough on to 59. ARB at 59 negligible- won’t be bad at 57. Got consultancy lined up already and my school is only “good”! Need to work part time- 2 children at Uni and one hopefully going next year when oldest leaves (we had three close together).

It sounds like you’ve had enough. Be brave and go freelance. There’s plenty of work if you want it.

eljefeb90 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

If I was about to be 'restructured' out of my job I would rather it was done by someone I knew, looking as miserable as me, and only around for the money him/herself, rather than some new keen arrival looking like they enjoyed the task.

I've only posted this because I think your dilemma comes from knowing you are doing the job for the money, yet you are going to have to remove staff in a worse financial position than you. But that's not your fault, is it? You probably are the person who can do this in the fairest way. If you do find your mojo, keep it well hidden.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. littlevanner

Thank you for al your replies - certainly given me lots to think about !

Lara mfl 05 likes this.