1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To facebook or not to facebook?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by seren_dipity, Apr 25, 2012.

1. I railed against it just as I railed against having an internet connection, mobile phone or a satnav. Now that I have it I enjoy it - it's good for keeping in touch with friends and family around the world and I like the chat facility (which I use for friends and family near and far).
    My security if fairly tight - I have a number of people blocked, which means that they can't 'see' me and I can't 'see' them...however, I daresay if we have mutual friends or family who allow them access to their accounts they can have a nosy that way. If I thought that was a problem I'd simply block the mutual friend.

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I don't have a landline. I have a very cheap mobile phone - PAYG, no contract...it phones and as I understand would send a text if I wanted...that's it!
    I do have a FB account....which I currently use for 'liking' companies so they send me freebies (I got 6 yankee candles for free which mum loved!)
    I don't do the social networking thing because basically I don't have that much of a life!
    Whilst I am dealing well with my body issues - I don't know that I will ever be happy having my photo taken....and can't imagine putting a phot on-line...even for friends and family to see. My status is basically, 'unemployed and often housebound'....and unlikely to change.
    I come on TES and tell people what I had for dinner....and plot my banning of boxy...and that's enough networking for me!

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Oh...and I also have a LiveJournal account that I thought I might use to post some of my 'stories'....but I have never worked out how to use it so it has been pretty much dormant for over a year!

4. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I use it like Dancetilyoudrop really. Love playing scrabble with all sorts of people, friends and ex colleagues. Share photos easily with family and friends. Was fab when my daughter married two weeks ago as i got to see everybody elses pictures within a few days, even those friends of hers who i dont really know. I dont do statuses usually as they seem weirdly narcissistic and boring.

5. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I do FB - mainly to keep in contact with friends and family abroad. I am VERY careful about what I put on there - there is nothing that I wouldn't be happy for a complete stranger or my boss to see. I do NOT trust security settings on FB - like another poster, I am aware of how easy it is to get around them. I do NOT put photos of my children on there, for this reason, and if anyone else puts photos of my children on there, I tell them to take them off, or I get FB admin to do it for me (which they are very good about actually).

6. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I don't think they can - I think you don't exist for them on FB.
    IF you have a mutual friend and you are both commenting on a status/photo of that mutual friend, you won't see any comments by your 'blocked' friends and they won't see yours.
    That can be confusing at first until you realise you're missing part of a conversation,

7. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

I will be honest and say I really do like facebook. I am living in a different country and I use it as a way of communicating with my friends and family back home.
    My parents love it because they can just pop on facebook and see what I have been doing, because of the time difference it is very hard at times to communicate with each other so it makes my mother worry a lot less!!
    Like all things you just have to be careful. I watch what i put up and also post, I don't say or post stupid things and I am always aware of things that I have been tagged in and if I do not like it then I untag myself and I tell my friends why I am not comfortable with it, and for the most part they are really good about it and respect that I do it because it is a part of my job

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I would have nothing to do with Facebook or other social networking sites. The privacy they promise is mere delusion - anything you post or anyone else posts about you. is the property of some very ruthless and dodgy companies and they can do as they wish with it.
    I hate it when people take photos at parties and then put them up on FB without asking permission from those in the frame. Not ethical.

9. I think Facebook is something that comes with a risk - I use it (with full understanding of the risks) because I like it. I do sometimes consider coming off for good though. But then how would I do the bulk of my timewasting? TES is pretty poor pickings these days...

10. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I completely agree

11. I guess it is a question of trust. I trust those I add to my list. I have no ambitions to have a large friends list. We do not upload photos of one another, ***** nilly, nor do we tag. Nor do we play games or talk about work.
    IF I were found, there is nothing incrimidating there, so I am not worrying.
    So, I repeat, if you use it sensibly, there is nothing evil about Facebook and you do not need to live your life out there.

12. I have a TES FB account as a decoy ;o)

13. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Well you need to sort that one then...I'm not your friend but I can access the photo of you.