1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To ensure most ch are making outstanding gains in their learning and development

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by angelrosie, Dec 22, 2010.

1. "To ensure most ch are making outstanding gains in their learning and development "
    How can this be measured in EYFS?

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Through regular assessment, Summative and Formative. Tracking progress. Comparing to local and national data. Individual planning. Etc. Parent partnerships, Learning Environment etc etc Qualified workforce.
    My question. If children make outstanding gains in their learning and development - is the development bit wrong. Does it wobble mightily in the policital debate that child development structure?

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

By hundreds of minutely differing statements that reek of Obsessive Completionist Syndrome on the part of the people who penned them.

4. All children make amazing gains in their learning and development from babyhood to age 5 - they are pre-programmed to that. Consider the use of 'outstanding' in this statement and be suspicious of anyone who refers to very young children like this.
    To measure progress get to know the child and compare their behaviour/abilities to the development matters (continuously). Make a broad brush stroke summative assessment each year and see what age band in the development matters is mostly demonstrated. If the child is developing along the chronology - good. If the child is developing unevenly or is behind, spend some time working out what's going on, if necessary flag up concerns, think about the opportunities this child is getting. If the child is developing more quickly, make sure they are offered opportunities that allow them to move beyond what is is expected for their chronological age.
    Don't forget there will always be children of average attainment, above average and below average. 'Outstanding' environment is one thing (an environment that offers opportunities to flourish), and with a good environment, sensitive teachers and practitioners, and a supportive home background, children will make optimum progress (based on their individual potential, personalities and aptitudes). I would 'measure' the environment and the staff and observe how these are supporting the children, rather than 'measuring' the children. 'Outstanding' gains made by children? Maybe in the last year of the EYFS on something discrete like phonics or calculating?
    It's an interesting question.

5. If they are making 'outstanding gains' and are expected to isn't the learning environment underestimating their natural capacity?
    Many children make rapid gains in their early years of devpt - that's normal.
    It's when they aren't making rapid gains the question needs to be posed 'why not?'
    Another interesting question ....

6. It's the way the goalposts shift that is so interesting.
    If children are expected to make 'oustanding' progress ie to progress more quickly than the development matters 'timeline' suggests, it has to be the DM that is at fault (because it should presumably be describing the average child who would progress along average lines, not the less than average with all the others being, in comparison, 'outstanding').
    On the other hand, maybe if settings are going to be expected to deliver 'outstanding gains' they have to recruit some 'outstanding' children, because the average child will progress along average lines. Unfortunately(?) these children are going to come into the setting as 'outstanding', rather nullifying the effect.
    So maybe the only way of delivering 'oustanding gains' is by showing that children have moved from below their chronological age into their chronological age (or beyond). Is this why baselines tend to be so low? For how many OFSTED reports report that children come into nursery at below average attainment? Every single one I have read when applying for a large number of early years jobs around my area.
    What a tangled web is woven by all these statistics.[​IMG]
    But it offers an answer to the original post. Measure the children when they first come in (ignore previous settings' opinions). That way the children will be unused to the setting, insecure, shy and missing mummy. They won't show their true selves and are likely to be performing below their normal level. Bingo!
    OMG, I'm such an old cynic. [​IMG]

7. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

No no
    you must give 6 weeks for transition so the child can show you their very best... I am sure I had this in writing some place.... blows dust off pile of papers...
    measure the staff and the setting Yikes! Where are we going now?
    I know, let's measure the parents!
    Let's measure the sand tray. There, now everyone is happy.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Is it a PM target?

9. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

How many is most? Is it more than half even by just one? Will this change according to latest Guidance published? Does it require moderation?
    What about the ones that don't make outstanding progress? Poor mites.
    Good job that Albert Einstein was not part of our education system. He would have just got confused and wandered away to play on slot machines.
    I do wish the powers that be would stop trying to tinker with politics, society and equality by measuring the magic of infancy.

10. Advisers in our area know nothing of this. Assess in first 2/3 weeks.
    Audit the provision. Audit qualifications of staff. Change as necessary. Train as necessary.
    Audit stuff like EAL, attendance, social services involvement.
    Check there's enough sand and it's clean [​IMG]

11. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

6 weeks oh yes- I must have been around a long time. Settling in period perhaps? No longer adhered to.
    Audit. Replace as necessary.
    Now remind about the research EPPE and SPEEL and base your audit around that please.
    If we knew what outstanding development etc was - then the audit would have some part to play, indeed it would.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

OUTSTANDING GAINS

I just had to capitalize such an important phrase.
    I would like to take the person who coined it and rub their nose in our sand pit.

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

[​IMG]

14. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

If you measure a child a few weeks after they start nursery (ie institution) you are measuring their emotional and social response to Transition.
    We should audit the "change"

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Let them tell us what is meant by outstanding progress - in relation to child development.

16. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Yes
    and without reference to
    specific skills in literacy and numeracy

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Ah, boardgames etc and the joys of the pre-techno-toy age!

I spent hours playing Ludo and Snakes and Ladders etc with elderly relatives when I was little. Happy Families and Snap also went down well.
    You can't easily play board gameswith a staff ratio of 26:2 but I'm a great believer in them and wonder how people might be persuaded to come in and remove the players to a quiet place where they could actually learn the rudimentary rules and enjoy and actual game.