1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To dream feed or not to dream feed...?!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by bruno71, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hi am looking for advice on when/whether to stop my LOs dream feed.
    He is 8 1/2 months old and we always gave him a feed at around 11pm until he was about 7 months old. We tried stopping at that time, by reducing it down to only 2oz and then going cold turkey. He slept well for the first 4 mornings, from bedtime at 7pm until around 7am, which was fab!! But then it started to go downhill and he woke at 6.30 (not too bad) 6.00 (still not too bad) but then it got earlier and earlier each morning until it was 4.20am!
    We decided to go back to the dreamfeed as we felt like feeding him at 4.20am felt like a massive backwards step as he was having night feeds again. So we went back to 11pm dreamfeed and things went back to normal, with some mornings him not waking until 7.45am!! Anyway, here we are another 6 weeks on and we have tried to stop the feed again. The first morning he woke at 5.50, next day 6am, then 6.45 (fab!) but again it has gone backwards and was 5.20am on Sunday and 5.15am this morning. This morning I gave him his bottle and put him back to bed and he did go back to sleep for another 2 hours, so from this point it's not too bad, but like I said earlier it feels like a backwards step.
    Anyway, to get to the point, do people feel that we are better sticking with the 11pm feed so that he gets up at a reasonable time in the morning, or should we persvere as he shouldn't really be having this 11pm feed at his age and if we think to the future obviously we need to drop it at some point. For those of you who have read any of my other posts you will know how 'difficult' my LO has been and although the daytimes are getting much better, when he is up so much earlier its a loooong day.
    Any help appreciated!!

2. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Hi, we kept going with the 11pm dream feed until our little girl was almost a year old! The main reason for us was because she was very slow to take to the idea of food, so to us, before then, cutting out a bottle of milk a day was quite a big thing. Also, I admit, we were definitely in the habit of having lovely full nights of sleep! I think you have to do what is right for you x

3. I think do whatever suits you best. If you dont mind the dreamfeed and prefer the later mornings, stick with it. They used to do this stodgy milk by Cow and Gate to fill them up more. I guess you could try giving him a later dinner if you wanted to drop the dream feed? x

4. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Oh yes, that reminds me whistle, when we did eventually take her off the 11pm bottle she had some supper before her bedtime bottle (as tea time was her least successful meal - two grapes aren't going to see you through until the next morning!). Supper was usually a bit of cereal or toast.

5. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

I think plenty of babies still want / need milk in the "night" even if technically they shouldn't. But surely a happy, well-rested parent is better even if it means continuing a night-time feed? Lots of people feed much later that this I think - so much depends on LO and how much they eat etc. etc. Especially if they aren't having big meals, I would do what works best. Our LO never took to dream feeds - they just then kept waking up every few hours - but I remember the early early mornings well, and so would recommend anything that limits them! Good luck.

6. Hi thanks for the replies.
    I have found that if he has a later, bigger tea he drinks less milk at bedtime, so I have been trying to give him less tea a bit earlier, usually around 5pm, so that he finishes his bedtime bottle. But do people think that he would be better having a bigger tea aorund 5.30pm (but as a result only 3oz or so of milk at bedtime) and this would be more likely to fill him up for the night, rather than a smaller tea at 5pm and more milk at bedtime. I am a bit reluctant to swap his milk to 'hungry milk' as we struggled with his milk in the early months and he is still on the Aptamil for colic one.

7. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

No experience here but I did read that a protein-rich meal for tea is the best for keeping them feeling full for longer.
    Ours is still on milk, and still at the stage when she might go through, or she might wake up 5 times between 7 and 7 and want a feed at each wakening!

8. Hi, thanks for that suggestion, I gave him his chicken and summer veg for tea last night and he slept until 7.45am!! My OH said that he heard him at 6.30am, but he must have just gone back to sleep as he didn't wake me up! It is probably a one off though!! We have decided to stick it out without the dream feed for 2 weeks, as yesterday I found a tooth popping through LOs bottom gum! My sisters little girl is a great sleeper, yet when she got her first teeth she was up at 5am ish, so we don't want to go back to dream feed yet in case it is actually his teeth getting him up early.
    Thanks for the help everyone x