1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To do or not to do - school visits and job applications

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by BYusuf, Oct 11, 2016.

1. WildKyogre

WildKyogre New commenter

Is there a polite way of saying in my application or email with my application that I was/am unable to visit the school I am applying for because I work supply and live over an hour away on public transport?

(planning to move into the area as soon as I have job lined up for September)

agathamorse likes this.
  2. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Yes - just say that.
    As a Head, I have to say I take no notice of who has come to look round! I shortlist on the basis of the application against the essential and desirable criteria.
    In many ways, expecting candidates to come and look round before shortlisting is unfair because not every one can!
    Having said that, for an SLT position I WOULD expect you to have come round, or at least rung for a chat if you live quite a way from us....

agathamorse, Jen26 and BYusuf like this.
  3. a1autotransport

a1autotransport New commenter

It's great to visit the school before presenting the application as you can really recognize regardless of whether this school is the correct one for you.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. shallicomeback

shallicomeback New commenter

I was successful many years ago for a job and the headteacher admitted that he made his mind up about candidates when they came to visit the school. However, he only invited shortlisted candidates to view the school

5. RjMaan

RjMaan New commenter

No i don't think so, infect your visit will make you familiar with the administration and stuff that you are interested to work here.

BYusuf likes this.
  6. shadowkitten

shadowkitten New commenter

I went to a school for a visit last week and the headteacher told me that she doesn't shortlist anyone who doesn't come and visit the school. So some schools do still have this mentality!

7. sherezade_barcelo

sherezade_barcelo New commenter

I am looking for a position as a teacher but I am working right now full time in as an assistant in other school. Therefore, I cannot take a day off every time I want to apply for a school (and I have not said anything to the school yet). How can I show my interest to the school so they can take me into consideration a bit more and to know more about the school if I cannot visit? I can visit outside school time but I do not know if that is possible.

8. glo123

glo123 New commenter

Hi
    Last week I contacted a school to see if I could visit as I was interested in a HOD vacancy. The receptionist took my details and later that day I received an email asking me to let them know what my questions were relating to the post. I replied stating that I would like to visit the school if possible but did not get a response to my enail. I called the school several days later and was told I would receive a call from the person who had emailed me. Again, no response. I am assuming they do not want applicants to visit in advance. It is an independent school and from reading several of the earlier posts, pre application/interview visits are less common in the private sector. Any thoughts?

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I can't recall a single pre-application visit to my independent school.

10. Alexbartlett

Alexbartlett New commenter

I am looking at schools over an hour away from where I live as I wish to relocate. Is it possible to ask my school for an afternoon off to visit prospective schools?

I worry that by not visiting the schools would not consider me but I haven’t yet told my school that I have made the decision to leave

11. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi Alexbartlett,

First things first: you need to tell your school that you have decided to leave. Is there any particular reason why you haven't informed them?

Secondly, you can ask your school for the afternoon off to visit other schools especially if it has minimal impact upon cover. Your school policies should outline how you are expected to request for the time off.

Regards,
    Bukky