1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘To do marking and feedback right takes three days for every fortnight of teaching.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 22, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The best feedback is instant, largely individual (or to two or three at a similar stage) verbal and supportive and positive. It should be acted upon very quickly.

install, TCSC47, cissy3 and 4 others like this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

There's not really a vision. It identifies a problem but doesn't actually give much of a solution.
    Work needs marked and feedback needs to be given. Sometimes it will be instant and verbal, sometimes it will be written comments and sometimes it will be a target highlighted on a mark scheme/success criteria. What it shouldn't be is set in stone for every piece of work and every pupil. If a pupil clearly "gets" what you were trying to teach she deserves praise not a pointless written conversation in different coloured pens with two stars, a wish, some DIRT and other confusing nonsense.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Any teacher having visions needs to go to the opticians or psychiatrist, they seem to be de-rigeur though these days to separate yourself from the hoi polloi and give an impression of superiority, always useful when climbing the greasy pole.

install, Norsemaid and Scintillant like this.
  5. vannie

vannie Star commenter

The 'vision' of feedback is what is making most teacher's lives a living hell. With the new OFSTED obsession about looking at books to see progress over time SLT's are imposing ridiculous marking loads on teachers. I work with 6 year olds. We regularly look at their work together and I give them individual support in spotting errors and how their work can be improved. So far so good ..... but if my feedback is not written in red and green and pink it may as well have not happened. And they had better have 'responded' to it. Oh yes. Even if the can't actually read. It's madness and it's not for the children.

install, TCSC47, lardylegs and 9 others like this.
  6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Joan of Arc was burned at the stake for having visions now you cant' work get a job without them

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

He states that, "no one’s tried a radical, minimal written feedback policy over time"

Wrong - but he's probably too young to know otherwise.

I went through the whole of my secondary education with minimal written feedback and still managed 9 O levels 3 A levels etc etc.
    That was in the days of the 'good' old Grammar School system which -I think Wilshaw and certainly a fair few politicians wish to reprise.

8. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

The article asserted:

It’s well-established that effective feedback is one of the biggest drivers in increasing student achievement. This fact has inspired the establishment of an wing of educationalists who spend time coming up with novel ways of increasing the importance and quality of marking."

Is this really a fact?

Where is the evidence?

This marking fetishism was forced on teachers by OFSTED.

It grinds teachers down. Blights their lives and can be used as a weapon. Only one book not marked is almost treated as if nothing is marked. A black mark to be recorded and used if needed in the future.

download-1.png

galerider123, install, TCSC47 and 4 others like this.
  9. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

I'd like to give an anecdote from recent experience here.
    At my last full time job, my marking was found to be grade 4, which I thought meant intermittent/non existent and lacking in guidance or targets. In fact there was really nothing I could have improved other than to jazz up the colour scheme a bit and do it even more often, which I did, and still was found to be failing. I left due to this and other trumped up criticisms.
    Fact is, the school had ingrained, systemic problems, from the top down. Students were not achieving for many reasons not least of which was the culture of blame which caused around a dozen teachers to leave in the short time I was there only to be replaced by exploited cover supervisors, TAs and even admin. staff. They were broke and just needed to save money by getting rid of expensive teachers.
    I then got a long term supply placement at another school. There was a book check. The teacher, the last couple of weeks of whose maternity leave I was covering, was summoned by the DH to be praised for her outstanding marking which was to be demonstrated as a model of good practice. She had the good grace to reveal that the pages in question had been marked by me.
    The whole marking the marking so that it can approved of by another marker malarkey is just lunacy. It's all subjective and mostly fake.

lardylegs, cissy3, Anonymity and 5 others like this.
  10. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Has it ever occurred to those that create ludicrous marking and feedback policies that require teachers to have one of those multi-coloured pens attached to a lanyard around their neck so that they can mark in pink, green and blue, that at least one child in every 12 is colour-blind and will not be able to differentiate between the three colours? Not very inclusive eh? Bet they haven't covered that in the SEN policy.

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

So much of what seems to happen in schools today is reminiscent of the Emperor's new clothes.

lardylegs and petenewton like this.
  12. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@FrankWolley and anyone else who might be interested in the kind of marking policies that primary teachers are supposed to abide by - have a read of this. I have removed anything that might identify the school from whence it came, although it appears to have been written by someone who hasn't marked a child's book for a very long time.

Attached Files:

galerider123 likes this.
  13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

OMFG

galerider123 likes this.
  14. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@Flere-Imsaho that's just the tip of the iceberg. I have seen some policies that are far, far worse. They have marking codes that GCHQ would find difficult to decode.

galerider123 likes this.
  15. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

16. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Just say 'no'!

TCSC47 likes this.
  17. Compassman

What sort of idiots come up with this nonsense?

lardylegs likes this.
  18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The underemployed.

TCSC47 and schoolsout4summer like this.
  19. Compassman

Concise and to the point.

20. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Ridiculous! The amount of wasted time marking instead of preparing engaging, exciting lessons which really help the children learn drives me mad. I don't ever mark on a Wednesday and if I was ever asked why I would reply that we have a staff meeting so I don't have time to do my marking before I go home.