1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To declare or not declare (the stinky caution)?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by oirfian, Feb 4, 2012.

1. oirfian

oirfian New commenter

Hi
    I am applying for an NQT jobs now and need some advice whether I should declare on my application form my caution for drunk and disorderly which happenend 10 years ago when I was 20. I know they will find out when they read my CRB but my dilemma is whether to say it on my application form or not to and bring it up at interview. On the application some may bin it just out of policy while if I wait till interview I can at least show them i'm a normal person but would have to explain myself infront of the panel. also not great. A minor caution like that should be eradicated from records after a few years.It is disgraceful. The police give cautions for anything, sometimes misplaced and it should not have such an influence on your career. Many decent citizens are affected by this system.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I don't know how best to advise you - if you don't admit ti you may find yourself sacked if it later emerges. And yet it may not be on a CRB check - perhaps you need to complete one (for a charity?) and see if it is there?

BTW it is seldom good advice to accept a caution - better to take one's chance in court...

3. oirfian

oirfian New commenter

It is on my CRB. The pesky blighter just won't get deleted.I think there is a high chance a head teacher will bin my application as they will have 70 applications from people who don't have one so why bother with mine. While If I didn't admit it I would certainly be called into the office upon receiving the job to explain myself where I think it would be unlikely they would dismiss me. very difficult one to call though.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Think again.
    If you think it is difficult to have faith in someone who has been cautioned for being drunk and disorderly, do you think they will be even more impressed with the caution and the fact that you will be deemed as a liar?

5. You HAVE to put down any convictions or cautions. Simples.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you're supposed to put it on the application form, you're guilty of giving false information and it's dismissal/withdrawal of the job offer, I'm afraid.
    Take it from an experienced headteacher who has had to withdraw such an offer on discovering false information was given. I will add that I've also appointed a teacher who had a criminal conviction that resulted in a short prison sentence - he sent a letter accompanying his application that explained in detail what had happened. His application was excellent, we interviewed and appointed him.

7. oirfian

oirfian New commenter

Ok from your sound advice I will declare it. I was hoping a headteacher would respond with some advice. thanks.