1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To clear this pay freeze business up

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ljp84, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Some people in business, have had MASSIVE pay cuts (and lost bonuses which amount to a lot of money) last year too AND they're supposed to be grateful! TA's had no payrise last time, but then 2% of their pay isn't much! Let's face it, no-one is going to be happy earning less and paying more, but it's got to be done somehow. I don't think getting rid of TA's will solve the National debt. It's not like we are football players and earn millions. Maybe Fabio Capello could chip in?

2. Reading some of the posts here, really makes me quite angry at the small mindedness of some people. I have to agree with those who have said some teachers just dont realise how lucky they are! People are losing their jobs all around us while teachers live with relative job security and still see fit to complain!
    After working in the private sector for years before going into teaching, I have some appreciation of what a good deal teachers are getting. How anyone can moan about a system where you recive a pay rise every year just for having been there is beyond me! In my last position people had to apply for a pay rise and provide a detailed justification, which could be rejected with insufficient evidence. Even with the pay freeze most of us will still go up a scale and earn up to 2 grand more, which is a hell of a lot more than most people will be getting!
    We need to face facts that the country is in a mess and everyone is going to suffer. The least we can do is accept our current pay for a few years and be grateful we're not among those with serious chances of being left out of work.
    And anyone who thinks that they should not try make any improvements until after the pay freeze should not be a teacher! I couldn't believe what I was reading in a previous post, it is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. You obviously can not care about your pupils if you can let them suffer because you are not happy with your salary!
    *Rant over* sorry!

3. Yes, I agree, if teachers and nurses' pensions are drastically changed/reduced then it should be the same for MPs.Also, I suspect that the present government is not going to be slow in implenting the pensions reform.
    We did not cause the financial crisis -the bankers and politicians did- so why are we held responsible for it now. This lack of integrity is blatant and unacceptable.

French_She

4. What planet are you working on? I work in Scotland and I am at the top of the main teachers' scale which means that I will not get any further increments (unless I go for promotion). Now, with the pay freeze and inflation on the rise this equates to an actual pay reduction. Anyway, on the main teachers scale, each increment is not worth 2K but only about £900.

French_She

5. Yet another person who falls on hard times in the private sector, has a eureka moment, and thinks 'oh, what can i do? I know, I will teach.'

= clogging up the oppotunitires of people who genuinly want to teach, either shortning the opportunities for genuine would-be teacehrs from attaining a place on a PGCE course (due to more applicants from eureka would-be teachers), coupled with making it harder for people who genuinely want to teach to actually land a post (again, due to more applications from eureka teachers).

No wonder some people question the respect of the profession- the influx of private sector workers that fall upon hard times and think that teaching is their get out clause is absurd.

6. I accept that we, the nations's slaves are bearing the brunt of the banker's greed. Such is life. However, I hope this pay freeze will be accompanied by a freeze in the weekly avalanche of new initiatives we have to contend with. I can't say I feel quite so altruistic and may think twice before doing things I 'ought' to do and watch the clock a little more closely. I think I can mamage that for 2 years...

7. I also previously worked in the private sector before joining the teaching profession but cannot concur that teachers are are lucky.
    There is a definite argument that teachers enjoy greater job security but this comes at a cost. Salary levels for similarly educated private sector employees tend to be higher than those of teachers.
    Let us also not forget that during times of economic boom private sector employees enjoy perks such as bonus payments on top of salaries. Teachers receive NO financial rewards for excellent performance. In the mid 1990's I received a bonus that equated to 22% of my salary. I can't see this happening in the world of education.
    The immense debt in the country is down to massive risk taking within money markets that during the boom period allowed enormous bonuses and salaries to be paid to MANY private sector employees.
    I am happy to take a pay freeze if I know the Government will also look to try and recoup some of the billions that have been paid out <u>by us all</u> to keep the banks afloat. Somehow though I can't see a Tory government asking the private sector to give a little of what they owe back.
    Teachers small-minded, I think not.

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Soooo hands up who has a credit card or loans, excluding a mortgage...... Anynoe who does has indeed contributed to the debt crisis as the increassed lending to bad debtors in excess caused the banking crisis - Everyone has to take their fair share of materialism led greed and want. Two generations back folk worked to pay for a roof over their head and place food on a table, everything else was considered non-essential - Our generation isn't satisfied with that, even to the piont that the welfare state falsely makes people believe the basics don't need to be worked for but are a right. Team that with massive increasing demand and expectation when it comes to the NHS etc...... This whole change in ecconomic philosophy has led to this debt...... Everyone is responsible.

9. theNavigator

theNavigator New commenter

I work in Scotland as well. I am at the top of the teacher pay scale, so I'm not going to complain about a pay freeze as my wage is quite reasonable compared to many (although I would still appreciate those in the council above me taking a pay cut and giving up jaunts and expenses and spending quarter of a million on fireworks to fly off the Kessock Bridge for no good reason, or installing £160,000 worth of coloured lights under an inner city bridge so they reflect off the water... mumble mutter...). However, I will NEVER get a pay rise because the only way up is as a Faculty Head, which they won't let me do because they need me to teach English. Of course it's frustrating, but I want to TEACH. I like the little snot-buckets (well, quite big ones actually) and I'm certainly not going to compromise my teaching and so on because I'm not getting a pay increase. I don't do this because it's 'easy' (because it's NOT) or because it has plenty of benefits (it DOESN'T - I have to buy art equipment for my classes out of my own pocket), I do it because the kids are entertaining, it's wonderful to watch them learn and flourish, and I get big holidays. Simples.

10. I am at the top of M6 and work part time. I don't want to move onto UPS, so presumably from next April my salary will not go up at all for 2 years - do I get a cost of living pay rise because I don't earn &pound;21,000 for my part time work? The information available is really unclear!

11. The fact that you've had to take a 50% cut to become at teacher says it all really, i.e teachers have never been paid what they are worth in the first place, which is what makes a pay freeze a bit hard to swallow. My partner, who works in the private sector. has also had a pay freeze for some time, but then he gets bonuses for doing a good job and a benefits package, including private healthcare and a great pension. And he still moans!

12. Really? Those who do NOT have loans, mortages, credit card debts or any other type of debt? Who work hard and live within their means because that is how they were brought up? You really consider that they are responsible for the current economic situation?
    A naive sweeping statement methinks.
    There are plenty of people out there who maybe don't own much, but who don't owe a penny to anyone, those who don't think two cars, a large home, expensive holidays and the biggest television the country has ever seen is their right.
    And thank you to other posters for the information on the pay freeze, it isn't as bad as I had first thought so that's a help.

13. Maybe Scotland is different, but in England M4 is26,494, M5 28,582. I think you'll find that this is over 2k, obviously when speaking of salaries it is before tax. bad luck for you if you're already at the top of the scale, but that just puts you in the same boat half the private sector have been in for the last two years

14. The increase in Sept 2010 will be the 2.5% owed to teachers from the teachers pay award agreement with the government caused by all the strikes years ago.
    The only reason it's being awarded is because it was agreed. Otherwise the pay freeze would probably start this year.

15. I don't really think that we have an awful lot to complain about to be honest...and like others have said...there is no need to be rude and abusive!! I think that as the opportunity is still there to progress up the pay spine, meaning that we'll effectively get a pay rise regardless, we've not got it too badly. As some others have mentioned, there are lots and lots of people out there in a worse position than we are - redundancies etc so I think we should be glad that we have secure jobs and secure incomes. Incidentally...if people are really unhappy with their salaries, they could always work hard and go for promotion! Now there's a thought!

16. 60 hours per week is an illegal workload. Check working hours legislation and then speak to your Governors.

17. This is exactly how I understood it, the only ones really affected will be those on M6 who are not going through the threshold that year.

18. I have to agree with your comments. I get sick of hearing that teaching is the easy option for people who can't hack it in the real world. That might have been the case at one time, but these days, teachers are as accountable as anyone in the private sector and without all the perks. Let's face it, who goes into teaching for the money (something successive governments have taken advantage of for decades)? But then there are still people out there who think that we all only work from 9am to 3pm.If only!

19. sharonmartine

sharonmartine New commenter

So you earnt twice as much before, back in 2004, than you do now as a teacher? Wow and you say teachers have it good, I don't think the majority of teachers have the potential to double their earnings. So if you hadn't been laid off you would still have become a teacher and taken the 50% pay cut because we have it so good!?? Hmmmmmm...please don't belittle the hard work and training to get in to the job in the first place. I am happy to take a pay freeze if that is what is needed but not interested in attacks born out of bitterness!

20. Hello,

I found this which maybe of some use. As well as moving up the payscales in SEPT 2010, we also get our promised 2.3% rise this year, before the payscale freeze begins.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/politics/article-23848168-michael-gove-teachers-will-get-scheduled-pay-rise.do

The payscales as of 2010 are here: http://www.teachers.org.uk/node/11723

:eek:)