1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To clear this pay freeze business up

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ljp84, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

At first i thought that the pay freeze from Sept 2011 meant that my pay would stay frozen for two years - i.e if in 2011 i was on M1 - £21,102 - then i would stay on £21,102 until Sept 2013.

Upon further reading, I was wrong - All that the pay freeze means to us is this;
    If you were on M1 - £21,102 in sept 2011, the following september 2012 you DO go onto M2 - £22,771 and M3 - £24,602 in Sept 2013
    YOU STILL MOVE UP THE PAY SCALE AND YOUR PAY WILL INCREASE WITH THE PAY SCALE EACH YEAR

However, the pay freeze relates to the pay scales themselves.
    Each year the Pay scales increase in line with inflation - for example; in 2008 M1 would be (lets say) £21,200 then in in 2009 M1 would increase to £21,500 then 2010 M1 would increase to £21,800.
    Basically this increase that happens every year, will not happen for 2 years.

I hope people understand this

2. Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

At first i thought that the pay freeze from Sept 2011 meant that my pay would stay frozen for two years - i.e if in 2011 i was on M1 - £21,102 - then i would stay on £21,102 until Sept 2013.

Upon further reading, I was wrong - All that the pay freeze means to us is this;
    If you were on M1 - £21,102 in sept 2011, the following september 2012 you DO go onto M2 - £22,771 and M3 - £24,602 in Sept 2013
    YOU STILL MOVE UP THE PAY SCALE AND YOUR PAY WILL INCREASE WITH THE PAY SCALE EACH YEAR

However, the pay freeze relates to the pay scales themselves.
    Each year the Pay scales increase in line with inflation - for example; in 2008 M1 would be (lets say) £21,200 then in in 2009 M1 would increase to £21,500 then 2010 M1 would increase to £21,800.
    Basically this increase that happens every year, will not happen for 2 years.

I hope people understand this

3. There is more to it than that. Usually, as well as moving up the pay scale (if eligible etc) teachers get a cost of living rise each September as well. We won't be getting those for 2 years either.

4. jlo

jlo New commenter

Thats what the OP said. No cost of living rises for 2 years but we still get incremental. Thanks to OP for clearing this up.
    Have to say I think it's fair.

5. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

As long as it's really only two years and pensions as we know them are not drastically changed.

6. I can't agree. Cost of living has risen faster than the pay rises we have been given. We didn't cause the problem yet seem to be taking a huge amount of responsibility for fixing it.
    Also I imagine that our pensions will be changed massively and not in our favour. I'd really like to know what is happening to MP's pay and pensions... Especially considering they earn far more than us or nurses....

7. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

..... and MP's have probably the best pension scheme ever.

8. How can it possibly be fair?
    Teachers have had a below inflation cost of living allowance for several years. Last years guarnteed pay rise was 1.1% below the then current rate of inflation, which is now even higher.
    We have effectively been taking pay cuts year on year for half a decade.
    The pension scheme is under massive reform also which i wouldnt mind waging will not be in our favour either. Maybe I should place a bet at Ladbrokes. It would be one way to recoupe the loss in earnings from a pay freeze.

9. Hi,
    Can anyone help me out? I'm due to apply for threshold this year, is it worth doing or does the pay freeze mean I can't move on to the upper pay scale?
    Thanks

10. coppull

coppull New commenter

Assuming you have no problems at getting through the process.You will receive the money. It is not frozen.
    Reminder to all forum members .The pay freeze covers annual rises in the cost of living increases,which might have been paid in 2011 and 2012. It does not freeze people going up the Scale from MPS 1 to MPS 6 or cross ing the Threshold or UPS Progression.

11. Thank you for your comments. Does this mean MPS 5 will be at the new level or will it stay at 2009/2010 rate?

Many thanks

12. Yeah, that's what I figured as well...
    my question is this, as a part time teacher my salary is less than the £21000 threshold as it stands, although the full time equivalant would be over it - where does that leave me?!

13. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Governments talk in financial years. The pay freeze will apply from 2011 so effectively from 6th April 2011.
    The teachers' pay scheme gets an annual 'cost of living' rise in Sept each year. The rise for Sept 2010 will go ahead as it is before the pay freeze even if 2011 were to mean 1st Jan 2011). So, all grades will increase in September.
    Anyone who is not yet at the top of the MPS scale, the UPS scale or the Leadership scale will carry on moving up them as normal and will benefit from a cost of living and an increment grade this September.
    The pay freeze comes in and there will be no 'cost of living' increases in Sept 2011 and Sept 2012, meaning that the amouts in all the pay grades will be fixed at Sept 2010 levels.
    Teachers not yet on the top of their scale will therefore only get the increment grade each september. If they reach M6, they apply for Threshold as normal and move onto UPS if they pass ... and then move up UPS when applicable.
    Someone on a grade that pays over £21k but who works p/t and earns under £21k wil still be able to move up the payscale. Any pay grade over £21k at Sept 2011 will remain at its Sept 2010 level but the p/t teacher will move to the next pay point as normal and get the relevant portion of that annual sum.
    Those on 20% tax will also benefit from an increase of £1k to their Personal (tax-free) allowance, netting an extra £200 per year in take-home pay. At current dire supply booking rates, that will mean me not paying any tax on teaching income. I've gone from earning about £24k in 2007 to under £6k this school year. Now, that's a pay cut to worrry about!

14. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Do you have a link to the 2010 pay scales at all?

15. I am unclear about what cost of living is - is it just the small increase to salary each year, or has it got something to do with teaching in London?
    I understand that as I am on M2 I will continue going up the scale, but the amount I go up will freeze. Will I also stop getting "London weighting"? as I currently get more money for working in an inner city school.

16. If you are on the main pay scale, you will move up to the next scale point (M1->M2, M2->M3 etc). You can still apply for Threshold to move onto U1. For those at the top of their pay scales, the pay freeze from Sept 2011 will mean exactly that (or in effect, a pay cut when inflation is taken into account).

My main point is this...

As a Head of Department, I am currently updating my departmental SEF (self evaluation form) and DIP (departmental improvement plan). I am inclined to set the due date for any necessary improvements to sometime in 2014 and not direct the teachers in my department to undertake any further improvement once the pay freeze kicks in, on the basis that PAY FREEZE EQUALS FREEZE ON THE EXPECTATIONS FOR CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT.

Does anyone agree?

17. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

From here

18. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Good grief. Can you seriously imagine putting that idea forward in most other jobs?

19. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I have to say Jason... I am of the feeling that in the present climate one might be more grateful for your job rather than be a tool....

20. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Exactly, Daisy. I can't imagine what my managers would say if I told them that as my promised promotion has been refused three times in three years because of lack of money, and as the whole company's pay's been frozen for two years already I'm not planning on improving my performance...

...I imagine their response would be: "Well if we get the contract for the project in October, you won't want a job, will you?"

I can't begin to speculate on what planet Jason inhabits.