1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To clarify Welsh NQT rules further to my other 'Dear James' post

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by dominant_tonic, Sep 15, 2011.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Further to James pointing out my error, I rung the GTCW in order to clarify NQT supply rules.
    James was of course, right.
    It is as follows:
    • An NQT in Wales (holding QTS from a Welsh University, and registered with the GTCW), has five years to do supply. This runs from the date of Qualifying, NOT from first day of supply. I qualified in 2009, so I can can do supply until 2014.
    • At this point, I have to have an inductable post. If I fail to get an inductable post, I can apply for an extension to my LEA.
    • Please note, that at this point, my QTS still stands, and I am still entitled to use those letters after my name when applying for jobs etc. It doesn't suddenly disappear.
    Thanks James for pointing this out -you have made my life a whole lot easier.

2. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Further to James pointing out my error, I rung the GTCW in order to clarify NQT supply rules.
    James was of course, right.
    It is as follows:
    • An NQT in Wales (holding QTS from a Welsh University, and registered with the GTCW), has five years to do supply. This runs from the date of Qualifying, NOT from first day of supply. I qualified in 2009, so I can can do supply until 2014.
    • At this point, I have to have an inductable post. If I fail to get an inductable post, I can apply for an extension to my LEA.
    • Please note, that at this point, my QTS still stands, and I am still entitled to use those letters after my name when applying for jobs etc. It doesn't suddenly disappear.
    Thanks James for pointing this out -you have made my life a whole lot easier.