1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To Canadian teachers: Protocol? Timeplan? UK teaching in general??

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by scrobbie, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Hey there
    Some advice about teaching in the UK :
    Avoid London ! (Southeast London to be exact! Behavioural issues and the general atmosphere I found to be quite negative. Also avoid SOS Educational services - not sure if they operate in Bristol but they are very unprofessional ! )
    HSBC bank is international-most Canadian banks DO NOT have links with UK banking facilities - if you want to come to the UK to teach you should be able to access your HSBC bank account in the UK.
    If you do not have any UK ancestry (and are over 28 yrs)you will need to have a work visa which can be arranged between you and your employer based on the need for your work (if you are qualified in specialty subjects such as Science or Languages this will help you). Protocol (www.protocol-teachers.co.uk) are usually quite well organised and have great seminars held after school to provide information for teachers that are new to the UK.
    Hope this information helps you ! :D Best of luck ! :D

2. PLEASE AVOID SOS EDUCATION SERVICES

I am a Canadian Teacher that worked in Southeast London for two years. I worked for this company and it was nothing short of emotional abuse. They lied about salary, forced people to accept long term supply positions in subject areas they were not qualified in and hire and fire people for not putting up with their draconian ways. They also have a high turn over rate and they really put you in some shotty situations. Go directly to the LEA's...

3. OntarioCanada

OntarioCanada New commenter

Hello, I'm Canadian as well with a dual citizenship. I moved over here one year ago and I absolutely love it over here. I've enjoyed my teaching experiences here in England and I came over here on a contract with a teaching agency. I think that having the Canadian accent in the classrooms has helped me out over the year.

4. I am also in NS and have been recruiting Canadian Teachers for the last numbver of years! The company I recruit for is very selective, and vet Teachers really well...this is good for both the school and the Teacher...This way you are setup with a position before you arrive in the UK (if you are seeking full time contract work) or you can do Term or day to day Supply! There are plenty of positions available within the company I represent.

I am an independent recruiter and Education Consultant.My role is to advise and support Teacher applicants.

Oct 3 I shall be at the UNB Fredricton Job Fair....12-4pm! Its open to the public and not just for UNB students. A great opportunity to meet the UK Manager and chat about your oprtions. Or alternatively you can email me recruit@winnetthouse.com for more info!

5. Resident Commonwealth Teachers please don't forget to sign the petition and forward it to your contacts for support. Follow the link below then the instructions. You will enjoy teaching in England.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/qts-otts/

6. OntarioCanada

OntarioCanada New commenter

Hi, I'm a Canadian teacher, been living here for one year now. I'm looking for an agency that can place me for a couple of terms up to one year as I want to get my QTS. Although most of my experience has been in KS2, I have had a little secondary experience in Canada and I'm looking to teach in secondary over here. I live in the East Midlands.

Can you help?

7. Hi all! I'm a Canadian teacher & I taught in London for three years before opening up a new agency just for Canadians - Classroom Canada.
    I had some rough experiences with another teaching agency in my first year, so know all about the lying/miscommunication a few of you have mentioned.
    My teachers have been doing incredibly well, live in our accommodations, make new friends, get good teaching work (some are even in "outstanding" schools, according to Ofsted). If you're looking for an agency that has the Canadian angle, please feel free to contact me directly - victoria@classroomcanada.com
    I've also written a book called Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians - check it out at www.guidetoteachinginlondon.com
    Thanks & have a great time teaching!
    Victoria Westcott

8. Aren't you worried about proposed changes to UK work permit rule, restricting shortage occupation to teaching in Secondary Maths and Science? Surely this will make it much more difficult for non-EU teachers to work in England, other than in shortage subjects, as schools will have to prove shortage of qualified applicants and that they have taken steps to recruit from resident workers (i.e. those who don't need a vsa)?

9. "Aren't you worried about proposed changes to UK work permit rule, restricting shortage occupation to teaching in Secondary Maths and Science? Surely this will make it much more difficult for non-EU teachers to work in England, other than in shortage subjects, as schools will have to prove shortage of qualified applicants and that they have taken steps to recruit from resident workers (i.e. those who don't need a vsa)?"
    Hi - that's a great point. The vast majority of teachers that come from Canada through our agency are new graduates, or experienced teachers under the age of 31. So they get the Working Holiday Maker Visa (which will soon be called the Working Youth Mobility Visa) - really, it's just a name change as far as I can tell.
    For South Africa, it will be much more dificult, but for Canada, we're still fine. It's a reciprocol agreement between the UK and other countries and South Africa doesn't want the British to go there, whereas we're happy to have them. So, in a nut shell - we're not affected. Other Canadians will get the UK ancestry visa (which I have) or already have an EU passport.
    We have a major job shortage over here, so teachers would rather teach in the UK than not teach at all. The vast majority of my teachers that have returned to Canada after teaching in London are still not teaching here. They're working as servers in restaurants. They can't even get on supply lists (and that's the case for teachers for about 5 years in some parts of Canada, and has nothing to do with their teaching abilities/experiences).
    Hope this helps!
    Victoria

10. Thanks for your clarification.

Just one more point. Under WHM rules, you can only work for one year full-time and the other year you are supposed to be travelling (not working). I know it isn't policed very closely, but you will be breaking the rules if you work full-time for the whole of the two-year visa validity. Also WHV is granted just once in your lifetime, and can't be extended or renewed. You can switch to a work permit employment, and currently it's fairly easy for teachers (as all school teaching is classed as shortage occupation), but after the proposed changes, this will no longer the case for most. Also the number oif WHM visa issued each year is limited for some countries, making early application essential. And of course for nationals with no WHM agreement with UK, chiefly Americans, life is going to get a lot tougher for teachers.

11. Hi Alex,
    Yes, you're right. It will be more dificult for Americans for sure, although the Highly Skilled Migrant Program makes it a bit easier. I did a test for a 27 year old, with a Masters degree & a salary of 25 000 pounds and qualified for the 75 points needed. The salary is high for an American teacher I know, but just to see if I would qualify, and how much I would need.
    It's never really been that easy for Americans anyway, and that's why most agencies don't actively recruit them sadly. I'm writing the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Americans right now, and will be including all of this information in it, in the hopes that it will help the American teachers out there. It is frustrating, but I think it's actually more dificult for me as a Canadian to get into the States than it is to get into England still.
    Hope this information & discussion helps all those teachers out there that are doing their research into teaching in England now anyway. Thanks for your speedy replies Alec.
    PS) The Working Holiday Maker visa is indeed for only 1 year, but again, that's one more year of experience that Canadian teachers don't tend to get if they stay home. It's the experience they are looking for, so most won't complain about it.

12. Your post is one of the few positive posts on this site. I am a Canadian teacher looking to come over next year with my 15 year old daughter. My partner lives in the UK, and we feel it is easier for me to come there then him here at the moment. I have a dutch passport which I believe enables me to work in the UK. Any advice would be helpful, I am quite nervous about it all.

13. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

"I have a dutch passport which I believe enables me to work in the UK. Any advice would be helpful, I am quite nervous about it all."

1) Dutch = Netherlands = EU = "automatic and full entitlement to residence and work" for which you are qualified in the case of jobs demanding specific qualifications e.g. teaching[sort of]; varying from the bottom to the top of the heap and depending only on your ability to secure such work.

2) I presume that though you hold a Dutch passport your qualifications are not from The Netherlands. I am personally unaware of the rules for having Canadian-province-specific qualifications recognised in this country (England, I mean here, as the UK is not one unit in terms of the recognition of non-EU teacher qualifications.)

In broad terms I would think that you would not have too many problems as I believe that standards in the C-p-s system are high and as many Micky Mouse "qualifications" are to be found in England [hence "sort of" as above], they will probably not give you any hassle over this, though others here will know better.

3) For reasons which will be apparent to anyone who makes a moderately close analysis of this website, teaching in England is certainly not to be commended to "those of a nervous disposition." (Not quite what you wrote, I know.)

In summary:

1) "Falling off a log".

2) "Straightforward", I surmise.

3) Do they still need lumberjacks/jills in Alberta?

14. Here's an interesting fact - there is only one troll on TES called
    annie baker and she now posts under the username snowfairy2008.

15. I am a Canadian certified primary teacher, with 6 years experience doing both daily supply work along with long term positions. My hesitation is that there is so much negative posts on the site...we too have problem schools....but I think we have perhaps better cooperation from our principals(head teachers) and don't feel quite so alone.

16. What are LEAS?

17. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

LEAs are Local Education Authorities which used to be the prime local government element in delivering state education Great Britain (and so in employing teachers) but whose rôle is now so complex, circumscribed and complicated that I for one would be hard pressed to tell you what their powers now are (or are not) as the case might be.

"Principals as allies of the teachers in the classroom" (Here they act as cheerleaders for the parents of the hooligan pupils.)

How I envy you.

Keep searching on here. Try "behaviour" amongst many many other sources.

Are the RCMP still looking for recruits? What about prosepecting for gold? Or cutting holes in the ice and fishing?

18. I disagree with some of the posts here. As a dual citizen (British/Canadian) and having worked in both systems, I feel that the Heads I worked for in England supported me with any issues I had. There are many Canadian Principals (Head Teachers) who side with parents and students, because they don't have a back bone.
    Maybe I was just lucky (teaching in the Northeast) but I didn't experience any issues with my Head Teachers.
    I also worked for Select Education (teacher recruitment agency) before I began teaching in England, and teachers seemed happy with this agency. I don't know if they are all over the country or just in the Northeast.
    Good luck to all of those searching for jobs!