1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To Canadian teachers: Protocol? Timeplan? UK teaching in general??

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by scrobbie, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Hi, I'm a Canadian primary teacher with a BED. I'm currently struggling with the lack of jobs in B.C. I'm considering coming to the UK to teach. All I have read on this site are negative things about teaching in the UK. I need a Canadian perspective!!!! Should I do the agency thing or should I stay in Canada and continue subbing. I hate those freaking 5:30 am calls!!! My father is British so I have dual citizenship so that's why I'm considering the UK. HELP ME PLEASE with ANY advice!!!Thank you!

2. Hi, I'm a Canadian primary teacher with a BED. I'm currently struggling with the lack of jobs in B.C. I'm considering coming to the UK to teach. All I have read on this site are negative things about teaching in the UK. I need a Canadian perspective!!!! Should I do the agency thing or should I stay in Canada and continue subbing. I hate those freaking 5:30 am calls!!! My father is British so I have dual citizenship so that's why I'm considering the UK. HELP ME PLEASE with ANY advice!!!Thank you!

3. Hi Scrobbie - we're here also due to the lack of teaching jobs in Canada - particularly NS and BC.
    When would you be looking to come out here? Email me - hjcbsn822@aol.com

4. shadocg

shadocg New commenter

Scrobbie

I would go for it. It can be frustrating, it can be a real blast, it just depends on the situation you land in and the type of person you are.

Your best bet is to go with a school in the big city areas - their need for teachers is greatest. Second, enrollment for primary students are declining, so jobs are going to get scarcer.

Having said that, I can recommend Mercer Shaw Matthews - they are very professional and very helpful. They operate mainly in the London area.

Good to see you posting B&H - how are things going?

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I worked for Protocol when I came here and they kept me busy. Have you actually applied for your dual citizenship already?

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It can be difficult to secure a position at the moment- general down turn in jobs. There should be a better situation next year and the dual citizenship would help you enter-needless to say it is easier to find something when you are in the UK

7. personally i would avoid protocol and timeplan. i have heard their treatmentof overseas teachers can be a bit hit or miss.

8. Thanks for your views! I'm thinking of coming over for September 2005. I've had a British passport for 10 years and I keep renewing it just to keep my options open!

As for the agency situation, I know of a few Canadians who have gone over with Protocol and Timeplan( they recruit quite aggressively in Canada at universities). I'm just not sure what's the best way to come over.

I have experience subbing( or supply teaching as you say) and I will have two years experience doing that before I come over. That doesn't seem to make a difference though.

In Vancouver the job scene is just not so hot at the moment. I could sub here for years without anything permanent popping up.

Thanks for your opinions! They're much appreciated.

9. I'm from Canada and I can say I used the agency mentioned above that doesn't start with a 'T' or 'P' and they messed me around alot on the basis of salary, job expectations etc. The position they 'sold' me on wasn't actually what they said it was. Use a lot of caution when using agencies. I have heard there are some good ones, I just don't know if I can mention names. Ideally, you would want to come to the UK on your own and search jobs yourself as there are plenty of them.
    Good luck.

10. Hey, I'm Canadian and going to Bristol in January. Hoping for some secondary work, but willing to do pretty much anything as I'm more 'holiday' than 'working' oriented. :)

Any Canucks in the South West with some tips for that area?

11. I used to be a recruiter for an agency, and my advice would be:
    1. Organise a bank account from Canada before coming here. Many banks have partnersips/arrangements with overseas banks. Without 2 UK utilities bills you will find it hard to open an account here due to money laundering regulations.
    2. Come as a day to day supply first and sign up with 2 or 3 agencies, and bring originals or certified copies of all certificates: birth certificate, marriage certificate, degree certificate and GCSE equivalencies. Don't look for a long term contract until you have experience of areas and the curriculum.
    3. Areas with lots of jobs: London, South East England, West Midlands.
    Areas with very few jobs: the rest of the UK, including Scotland, Wales, Ireland. Don't set your heart on living in an area until you know there will be work there!
    4. Find out about the curriculum and school system before you arrive, and make sure any agency you sign up with will offer you induction and professional development. Look at http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachinginengland/index.cfm (it's a bit out of date now as there are less vacancies and more people returning to teaching and entering teaching, so don't be seduced by the "I came to England and was made head teacher within 5 minur=tes"stories on the website)especially at the information about the curriculum and teaching styles.

12. Thanks for the tips, esp. on the banking issue. I've left registering pretty late to do it through the Canadian branch, but figure I'd have not problems once I'm there. I plan on bringing my stuff, including a crim check with me.

I was looking to go head first in, but have recently figured I'd be better off starting slow and doing day-to-day to get used to the system. Great advice.

13. I am a Canadian primary school teacher from NS. I went to the UK last summer term to supply teach. I registered with Timeplan and they didn't get me ANY work. I am planning on going back for this summer term and I also need some advice. Jobs don't seem as plentiful in the UK as they tell us in Canada! Does anyone know which agencies are the best for the SE?

14. Oh and you will not be able to get a UK bank account on your own. Some agencies may help you but it is really hard. I only got one because my fiance who is British sponsored me. Be careful!

15. Spindy: Our local paper is FULL of teaching jobs this week. email me on hjcbsn822@aol.com and I'll send you some. We came here from NS as well, but hubby had job to come to before we left. High school is a little easier I think than Primary.
    Where in Nova Scotia are you from? We were between Elmsdale and Windsor on the 214.

Bringing Tim's with ya?

16. Oohhh, just when I had forgotten about Timmy's and you had to go and remind me! I could eat a whole snak pak of Timbits right now!

I'm acting more of a tourist than teacher here, and am registered with Protocol. They have more work for me than I'm willing to take. Really nice, helpful women at my local office too!

17. Hi
    I can verify the comments made by a previous poster concerning the haphazard treatment of overseas trained teachers from Timeplan and Protocol, they really gave me a miserable time. I can also name Capita as one to avoid! And the agency called 'Dream' Education is more like a 'nightmare'!!!
    I think that your best bet is to go straight to the LEA's, and work for them directly. After having such a dreadful time with agencies I worked for an LEA for almost two years, and they treated me much better.

Good Luck!

18. Hi,
    I am an OTT from Canada. I have been here in the UK for a short time. Avoid the agency "Astar Teachers" as well. They didn't follow through with contract conditions concerning pay. The company should be "avoided." Other details of what they were going to do to help me once I came over here was also not clear and not followed through.

My advice if I had to do it again is come on a working holiday visa if you are under 30 that shouldn't be a problem. Then you can check out the agencies and be able to screen them out a bit more and chose which ones seem best to you.

Good Luck

BE

19. Thanks for the info folks!
    I appreciate it. Looks like I'll be coming over in Jan 2006 now!

20. I'm also looking for advice...I'm a Canadian primary teacher with International experience, thinking about teaching in Bristol. I don't qualify for a working holiday visa (I'm 35) or a patriality visa. In which case, I don't know if the supply agencies can help me. I wonder how I can find a position in order to get a work visa...ideas???
    thanks!