1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by angiebabe, Aug 20, 2011.

1. I really wanted to go to the Southport Flower Show this year. I enjoy walking around, even on my own and checking out all the gorgeous plants and flowers. Also love all the gadgets and craft stalls as well as the 'garden designs' its like window shopping for garden stuff.
    However, the tickets this year are £21!!! Which I think is really expensive. The thing is I really can't reconcile myself to spending this amount of money to go.
    What do you think?

2. I really wanted to go to the Southport Flower Show this year. I enjoy walking around, even on my own and checking out all the gorgeous plants and flowers. Also love all the gadgets and craft stalls as well as the 'garden designs' its like window shopping for garden stuff.
    However, the tickets this year are £21!!! Which I think is really expensive. The thing is I really can't reconcile myself to spending this amount of money to go.
    What do you think?

3. What else would you spend £21 on and would you get more or less enjoyment out of it?

4. Wait for the DVD to come out then download it from Torrentday. :¬))

5. It does seem steep but if you really enjoy it then why not?? You would probably spend that amount easily and not have anything to show for it!!

At least you will have the memories of a great day out!

6. I was out with my little boy last week. We went to a zoo. Afterwards he asked me - do you think it was good value for money?
    He's only 6 but is more than aware from both parents of what things cost and whether they represent value for money.
    What does £21 mean to you ? A day out at Flamingo land costs £27 and that includes anyone over 3 so we don't think that's value for money. Our local farm shop has opened up an attraction - but this was £8. For that you can visit Castle Howard.
    Your choice!!!

7. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I think the prices of concert tickets are steep, but if it's someone I really want to see performing live, then I'll treat myself and go. If you really enjoy the flower show, and you can afford the £21, I would say go and have fun.What else would you spend the money on?

8. I've just checked out the prices to see YES in Birmingham....£75...FTFAGOS.

9. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

???

10. F eck That For A Game Of Soldiers.

11. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I like it! [​IMG]

12. must be Brummie saying. :¬))

13. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I'm a Brummie but have obviously led a sheltered life[​IMG]

14. <table id="entries"><tr><td class="index">1.
    </td>
    <td class="word">
    *** this for a game of soldiers!
    </td>
    <td class="tools" id="tools_3114488">
    46 up, 1 down

</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td> </td>
    <td class="text" colspan="2" id="entry_3114488">
    Historically soldiers were notorious for
    becoming engaged in silly and most times (e.g. the game of the
    "bisquit") non-sense games to kill the time, practice that over time
    gave them a poorly credible connotation and stereotype. Hence this old
    fashioned colloquialism (the original version was Sod this for a game of
    soldiers) compares the foolishness of a certain action/thing with that
    of "a game of soldiers"Man 1: Hey Jim lets swallow as much bleach as possible, just to feel what it feels like.

Man 2:You must have gone bonkers, *** this for a game of soldiers!
    buy *** this for a game of soldiers! mugs & shirts

sod
    soldiers
    that
    game

by Jonk

May 26, 2008

share this
    add a video

</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td class="index">
    </td>
    <td class="word">
    </td>
    <td class="tools" id="tools_743926">
    42 up, 49 down

</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td> </td>
    <td class="text" colspan="2" id="entry_743926">
    A strange English expression of resignation. I don't know the etymology, though. It really is quite bizarre."Aw, *** this for a game of soldiers!"
    buy *** this for a game of soldiers! mugs & shirts

by Bal-Sagoth

Jul 2, 2004

share this
    add a video

</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td class="index">
    </td>
    <td class="word">
    </td>
    <td class="tools" id="tools_1907850">
    21 up, 48 down

</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td> </td>
    <td class="text" colspan="2" id="entry_1907850">
    A term used by a peson meaning that in no uncertain terms would they do whatever the task in hand might be!man1... im gonna stick this red hot poker up my ****!!!

man2... yeah man! me too!!!

</td></tr></table>

15. Thanks Baubs - always knew I could rely on your unique opinion!
    Obviously if I do go to the flower show then I will have to spend money, so it's not just the &pound;21. I am definitely wavering though as it was such a glorious day today (up until now when it's just started drizzling) and wondering around a flower show would be lovely. Perhaps the weather tomorrow will help me to make a decision.

16. Oh dear 'dumpty' I totally know what you mean.
    However, I think I am going to go as it is a beautiful day and I would just spend it talking to myself and completing some school work (even though I am now retired!). I am going to be spending a lot more time in the garden from now on so I can at least get some new plants - plus I have some garden vouchers as leaving presents from my friends, I might be able to spend them at the show.