1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To break or not to break (the law)?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sidinz, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Recent advice from another poster on this forum was to sort something out with a school by chatting to them via Skype. However Skype is illegal in my present location. Which got me thinking.
    Given that more and more schools are conducting interviews via Skype, how would people approach this situation?
    Using Skype here is illegal and it is in fact blocked by all of the ISPs. When canny people started getting around it by using Virtual Private Networks, the ISPs started hunting down and blocking the provider's sites as well.
    So if you were in this situation and a school wanted to interview you via Skype, what would you do?
    a) Keep mum and arrange the Skype interview, hoping that your VPN won't let you down on the day.
    b) Explain that Skype is illegal and that you would like to respect your host country's laws and request an alternative.
    c) Explain that it is banned but that you'll try to find a way around it.

For those of you who are recruiters, what would your reaction be to a shortlisted candidate who informed you that Skype was banned in their current country of residence (assuming that you conducted your interviews this way)?

2. Recent advice from another poster on this forum was to sort something out with a school by chatting to them via Skype. However Skype is illegal in my present location. Which got me thinking.
    Given that more and more schools are conducting interviews via Skype, how would people approach this situation?
    Using Skype here is illegal and it is in fact blocked by all of the ISPs. When canny people started getting around it by using Virtual Private Networks, the ISPs started hunting down and blocking the provider's sites as well.
    So if you were in this situation and a school wanted to interview you via Skype, what would you do?
    a) Keep mum and arrange the Skype interview, hoping that your VPN won't let you down on the day.
    b) Explain that Skype is illegal and that you would like to respect your host country's laws and request an alternative.
    c) Explain that it is banned but that you'll try to find a way around it.

For those of you who are recruiters, what would your reaction be to a shortlisted candidate who informed you that Skype was banned in their current country of residence (assuming that you conducted your interviews this way)?

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

b)
    As a recruiter, I'd respect that and probably arrange a phone interview over regular lines.

5. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

If the country you're in has the technology to close down vpn's (gasp) then there should (hopefully) also be legal business centers that can arrange video conferencing. Some schools like the 3 lEttter School Folks in HK actually try to arrange video conferencing first and only use skype when ther eis not viable option for that.

6. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Is all VOIP illegal or just skype?
    If just skype, then you can do VOIP using MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger or Google - though you do have to be sure both sides have compatible versions.
    However, as someone above said, then the school could phone you on a regular line or use their skype to call you on your landline or mobile - shouldn't cost them more than around 25p per minute maximum to call you whereever you are - so £15 for a 1 hour interview tops - hardly a deal breaker!

7. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I'd be very wary of a school that would insist on using Skype even after the situation has been explained.