1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To be or not to be?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by rugby_gal06, Jun 13, 2011.

1. I qualified last summer as a primary teacher - graded outstanding, but I was unable to secure a post, due to not many being around and a family bereavement. I have been doing supply since September and I have been writing about this positively in my applications. However, 25 applications down the line I am still not getting anywhere, even being told by one head teacher that the reason I was not being shortlisted was because I am a supply teacher!!!! (Not sure how else I was supposed to keep my knowledge & skills up to date to have a chance at staying in the profession...).
    I genuinely believe teaching was and is what I am meant to do, but it seems I can't compete against all the new NQTs, even though I have gained valuable experience on supply alongside paying to go on CPD courses to keep my hand in and it hasn't helped at all!
    Sadly, I have given myself until the end of term to secure a post, before I have to seriously start considering other possibilities. However, with a degree in primary education, it is rather difficult to get into other professions.
    Out of interest, I was just wondering if it is worth continuing to apply for jobs after the summer holidays. I have to apply for my extension in January, with my chances of securing a post becoming ever slimmer. Or have a really missed the boat to begin my teaching career?
    Many thanks.

2. Please do not give up. Schools often find they have an urgent and last minute staffing requirement. I have sent you a private message through this website.

3. If you want a job be prepared to travel and teach anywhere. Foot in the door etc.

4. I am taking that approach, but still not having any luck!

5. Must be your letter. Get some help with that and try again.

6. I have just advertised. Only hadf 10 applicants. Shortlisted down to 5, 3 found jobs before the interview. Where are you looking - I will possbly have to readvertise! Shortage of jobs - more like shortage of decent applicants for me.

7. I agree! Very hard to find anyone half decent at the moment.

8. Where in the country is there such a shortage of decent applicants? I am usually applying against well over 100 -- and I'm sure a great many of those are excellent teachers.

9. south west

10. Were you advertising for a primary or secondary teacher?

11. South west too!