1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To AST or not to AST?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by LaGlo, Apr 27, 2010.

1. LaGlo

LaGlo New commenter

Hi all,
    I am in a bit of a predicament at the moment. I am currently on M6 with a SEN1 and a TLR2 (I am in charge of MFL and PSHE). I am working on my Threshold but have been considering applying for AST (with the support of my HT). I am thinking of doing it on Behaviour Management, as I work in Special education in a EBSD School.
    I am a bit confused now because if I was to go for AST I would loose my TLR which ultimately would mean I would no longer be HoD but an AST. Financially there would be no reward but a loss of about £800 a year if I went for AST.
    In terms of career progression, should I go for AST or keep my HoD? What would be more benefitial and open the doors onto SMT more easily (as this is the route I would like to take)?
    I would be most grateful for your opinions. Many thanks!!

2. Don't go AST until you are top of the pay scale so that you can ensure that you are earning as much as you can! Once you are on the leadership scale you might never get another increment again.

3. LaGlo

LaGlo New commenter

But I am on M6 now... I spoke to my HT today and he said I will NOT take a salary cut as I can start on a AST level that would, at least, match my current salary.

4. yes, but your wages can go up to UPS3 - once you know that your AST wage will start there and what will happen if/when AST funding is pulled then you can decide if it;s financially viable. Also find out what work you'll be doing as an AST. You should be doing whole school things and be equivalent to a member of the leadership team. What reason does your head want you to be an AST?

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Why do you want to be an AST? What's your motivation behind it? It's a very different type of work than a HOD so the choice should be simple, and dare I say not really about the payscale. If you're interested in building other teachers and networking outside of your area, then go for it. If you prefer focusing on your particular department and dealing with the paperwork, I think you should stay where you are. What does your HT think you should do?
    Also, HOD will always be needed, whereas it's harder to get hired by another school as an AST...

6. LaGlo

LaGlo New commenter

I am not interested in doing AST for the financial reward, as it clearly won't be any/not a lot of it if I go for AST.
    As to my motivation behind it, I work in a school which future is uncertain and I feel that being an AST may open doors for me in the future... As I said I am in charge of PSHE and MFL. PSHE could be led by someone else, but MFL would still need to be my responsibility as there is nobody else in the school who could do it, which would mean I would lose the title os HoD in paper but when it came to a possible future interview I could still prove my "Head of Departmenship".
    My HT is happy for me to do it, it was my request, as I am currently doing some outreach work already and I think AST would be positive and beneficial for my CPD.
    Thanks for your answers and your opinions.

7. WD

WD New commenter

Erm...pull the wool from your eyes! An AST post includes a substantial pay increase on your current post-generally accepted as around £6k above your present post. So if your Head is offering parity with your current salary-forget it.
    I wouldn't go for AST as it is a career dead end-virtually no schools appoint an AST to a SMT

8. WD

WD New commenter

Erm...pull the wool from your eyes! An AST post includes a substantial pay increase on your current post-generally accepted as around £6k above your present post. So if your Head is offering parity with your current salary-forget it.
    I wouldn't go for AST as it is a career dead end-virtually no schools appoint an AST to a SMT
    post, s

9. WD

WD New commenter

post, sucha s

10. WD

WD New commenter

post, such AS

11. WD

WD New commenter

post, such

12. WD

WD New commenter

Lol! got handling error message and then found multiple posts.

13. No change in the White paper, but soon there will be no LEAs to pay the outreach pa of the wages, so you would have to ask you head to meet the funding.

14. To OP: not AST. With academies unless you hold a legacy position they are pretty much dead in the water