1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To apply or not?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by kieron79, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hi, I am currently teaching in an all boys catholic school and have been a Head of Year for the past 3 years with an additional responsibility for transition with a particular emphasis on transition between KS2-3 and KS4-5.
    There is a job for Head of Sixth form currently being advertised for a private all girls school in my local area which I am considering applying for. My question is this, do you think I have enough experience? I should also point out that I am 31 and have taught in the same school since qualifying (due to the fact I have had several promotions in my time here). Do you think this would go against me
    Thanks

2. Hi, I am currently teaching in an all boys catholic school and have been a Head of Year for the past 3 years with an additional responsibility for transition with a particular emphasis on transition between KS2-3 and KS4-5.
    There is a job for Head of Sixth form currently being advertised for a private all girls school in my local area which I am considering applying for. My question is this, do you think I have enough experience? I should also point out that I am 31 and have taught in the same school since qualifying (due to the fact I have had several promotions in my time here). Do you think this would go against me
    Thanks

3. If you like the look of it, apply. If they've got any sense they'll be after someone with the skills and qualities needed for the post, rather than some prescription that you should be in such-and-such a position etc.
    I know someone who got a head of 6th form job having been working in a school without a 6th form.

4. You should definitely apply if you think the job is the right one for you. Age is mostly irrelevant - experience, leadership experience and talent are far more important. If you've developed those in your current role, which from your post it sounds like you have, then they'll focus on that.

There isn't always a need to change schools for promotion now, especially if your HT plans for internal development of staff.

5. Definitely go for it! I would spend some time dealing with the issue of only being in one school though. This went against me on one occasion (in fact I had worked in more than one school but not for many years) and I think I should have made more effort to sell it as a positive. And... don't forget your executive summary [​IMG]