1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To apply or not to apply

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Idiomas11, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Ciao,

A second in dept role has just come up in my new school and am considering applying. Spoke to my deputy head about it and they told me to go for it but that there was a concern about my behaviour management (I also happen to teach in a difficult area and have a lot of difficult classes, many of the more experienced teachers agree and struggle with the same pupils) . I am one of two people (the other being an nqt) with ks5 experience in my dept and have created some really good resources for the dept, which are my two main selling points. However, I made the mistake of telling a colleague I was going for it (they would not have been in competition with me anyway as they have just been promoted themselves) and I am fairly green myself only having completed nqt in summer '17 so my inexperience will count against me. I've already looked up interviews advice but a part of me is thinking of not bothering as they seem to think I'm not 100pc ready.

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

There’s nothing to stop you putting in an application if you want the experience of going through it. However, you don’t have a lot of experience. Although I’m sure someone will be along to say they know of people getting promotion in that time I would say get some more years under your belt first. Consolidating your teaching skills and behaviour management would stand you in better stead for the future. I suppose the big question is whether you think you are ready.

Idiomas11 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Always apply. Even if you don't get it, the experience of interview will be useful. Your DHT has actually given you some good hints for interview. If you know what your perceived weaknesses are you can address that.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    travelwings and Idiomas11 like this.
  4. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Thank you everyone for your kind advice. I think I will just do it for interview experience... nothing ventured, nothing gained eh? Hope you are enjoying your break.

travelwings and freckle06 like this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

As @koopatroopa says, the experience will be worthwhile and you'll be in a good position to ask for decent feedback rather than the usual waffle that an outsider will get.

freckle06 and Deirds like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Speak to the head of department as well and see what they say.

Idiomas11 and JohnJCazorla like this.