1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To apply or not to apply?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Anon92181738, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Anon92181738

Anon92181738 New commenter

Dear Theo

I am taking your advice and posting my dilemma on here as initially I put it on the career clinic. Having taken up a permanent post in a new school in September I am now considering applying for a HOD post in another school. I am currently acting HOD covering maternity leave but the job I originally applied for and got was a KS3 coordinator role. A couple of months after getting the job I was asked if I would do the HOD role. So I am doing both roles in a sense.
    I was a HOD in my previous school which was smaller, as was the department. I really only line managed one and a half but in the 4 years I was there I turned the department around and got very good results. I decided to move as I felt I needed to be in a bigger department. Plus it was a crazy academy in terms of the pressure which was extreme. It wasn't a great working environment as many staff were disgruntled. I also wanted more of a work life balance but since I am doing the hod role that has not gone as much as planned.
    I have moved a number of times in my 10 year career and I know too many moves doesn't look good. I have never moved mid year and gained a massive amount of experience working in different types of schools.
    The leadership in the school I have moved too doesn't seem strong, behaviour isn't great and a lot of staff have left as it is converting to an academy. We are due an ofsted and I think 3 is on the cards. I am trying not to regret the move as I am gaining confidence and experience leading a bigger department (5 mostly strong, experienced staff).
    Now this job has come up in a good, smaller but growing school close to home. Low staff turnover and have heard positive things about the school. Do I apply? Will they frown upon the short time I have been at current place? Do I risk rocking the boat when I may not have a chance due looking flaky?
    Any advice please would help.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I read your post on Career Clinic, and I must apologise for my unclear response to you.

When I said to come along to Jobseekers for further advice, I meant advice about applying for a job.

I don't think I have really anything to add to what was said on the Career Clinic by the other posters, that in any application you should emphasise that you are moving for a promotion, having in your temporary role realised that you have the skills and understanding to carry out this role permanently.

Here are the application advice articles. Not all are relevant to you, but I've included them for the benefit of anyone else who may read this.

Applying for a job in a school I suggest that you read these in this order

NQTs start here! *** N.B. ***

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Pre-application visits to schools

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written... ***NEW ***

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

No CPD to put on the application form!

5 common errors in applications

That should keep you busy indoors on this chilly weekend!

Best wishes

3. Anon92181738

Anon92181738 New commenter

Thank you. I have read a few of the articles which are useful. Now I need to decide what to do. Thanks again.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)