1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To apply or not to apply?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by modgepodge, Nov 9, 2011.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I'd apply. Yes, you might waste a bit of time on the applicatio, but apart from that what's the worst that can happen?
    There might be some good people out there who aren't in jobs and if so you probably won't stand a chance, but they might get very few applicants and be happy to wait a while for someone ace than just grab the first person available.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In the past I have known schools wait for a candidate (picked up some work through it and did a job swap once so person could start at their new school and I knew those children desperately <u>needed </u>continuity!)
    However in today's job market?
    Do you have the time to do an application or would it be difficult with all your other commitments? If you have, then surely it's worth a try? My first ever job I almost didn't apply for, as there were only 3 schools in the country doing what I wanted and when a job came up I thought every student in the country is going to be applying. Yet I got the job!
    If you REALLY impress with your application- don't forget that all important Exec. Summary, you never know . . . .
    Best wishes.

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for your replies with my dilemma here!!
    HR really did put me off but then the night before I had this feeling that was telling me to go for it. So I rushed the application the night before the closing date, well I say rushed but I spent 4 hours. However I would normally do it over a few days and keep coming back to it so it is finely tuned!!
    Anyway I emailed it across, feeling slightly concerned that it wasn't up to the normal quality of my applications but I have been shortlisted for a selection day :)
    The format of the day is not what I am used to, the letter states group activities and a formal interview if you make it through the cut after the activities. So no lesson to teach and no idea what the group activities could be....I have no idea how many candidates there will be and I feel I have two things against me immediately, the first being my notice period and the second being that I live 50 miles away (just over 1 hour by car) so I will have to work extra hard to shine.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They have shortlisted you despite that. If it was a No Deal, they wouldn't have bothered.
    They have shortlisted you despite that. If it was a No Deal, they wouldn't have bothered.
    So you have IMPRESSED them - now go and read the interview clickables inside the Welcome thread!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars