1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To apply or not to apply.....?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by youngjen84, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Hello
    I'm in my 3rd year of teaching and getting itchy feet....a new job has come up at a great school and I've just received the pack through with the person spec. They've listed as "essential" the ability to teach french and german to 'a' level but have asked for a french and/or german teacher. Now, what does this mean exactly?! I only teach at an 11-16 school and have no experience of teaching 'a' level French and only German to KS3 (I've an A Level in it and 1yr of uni but it's a bit rusty now); will this discount me automatically? I have all of the other essential and desirable qualities and I was really keen on applying but now feel a little out of my depth.
    Any suggestions?

Many thanks
    :)

2. Hello
    I'm in my 3rd year of teaching and getting itchy feet....a new job has come up at a great school and I've just received the pack through with the person spec. They've listed as "essential" the ability to teach french and german to 'a' level but have asked for a french and/or german teacher. Now, what does this mean exactly?! I only teach at an 11-16 school and have no experience of teaching 'a' level French and only German to KS3 (I've an A Level in it and 1yr of uni but it's a bit rusty now); will this discount me automatically? I have all of the other essential and desirable qualities and I was really keen on applying but now feel a little out of my depth.
    Any suggestions?

Many thanks
    :)

3. Depends how much time you want to put into it?

Visit the school and ask?

Or just apply anyway?

My current job was for French and Spanish, I applied and now teach French and German.

So who knows :D

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Problem is for a school with students up to 19 (& later 19) the ability to take classes at 'A' level an essential part of the job.
    Certainly apply.After all. none of the other candidates may have the 'A' level experience either! The important part is to put a positive spin on the experience/ qualifiactions you do have.

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

You have a German qualification that will allow you to teach it at A-level, I'd apply and put it into a positive light. If you don't get it then you've not lost anything but a bit of time filling in the form.

6. Thanks everyone, I hear what you're saying :)
    My German is just rusty...if I could go back to my 20yr old self I'd never have switched my degree from french + german to french + english!!! grrrrrrrrr
    i think i will apply....either they'll shortlist me or they won't..we'll see! I'd be prepared to do everything i can to refresh it and get it up to scratch..hopefully that enthusiasm will come through!
    i'll keep you posted :)
    thanks again
    x

7. Yes, apply - but (obviously!) do let them know your concerns honestly - I wouldn't 'put a spin on it' if I were you! You don't want to get yourself into something you can't really do. If they know you lack experience and appoint you because you're the best person for the job, they will give you the support you need. And if they don't - interviews are good practice for when the right job does come along. Good luck.

8. mpc

mpc

The thing about A level teaching is that it's often closely guarded and, in my experience, it's rare to be given 'exclusivity' for an A level group.
    It may well be that the school are looking for capacity to deliver A level as opposed to ability to teach it immediately.
    You've got nothing to lose by putting in an application (apart from a bit of time and ink).
    Best wishes,
    mpc [​IMG]