1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To APP or not to APP that is the question!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by oiam1971, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    Having just come through another Ofsted which was all about data, data, data, I am reviewing assessment procedures in maths (primary school) I am just wondering what the latest views are on using APP materials.
    We have found it very difficult and time consuming to moderate levels and in cases we always seem to have insufficient evidence. WE then rely on teacher judgements and tests results from a bought in scheme.
    We have come unstuck in year 6 when previous levels using APP materials are higher than SAT test levels. This obviously leaves a massive catch up problem and a very stressed year 6 teacher! I have spoken to a few maths coordinators in my area and it seems that some schools are now ditching APP for maths, whilst others are using APP for every child.
    I want to achieve secure level judgements for each child in maths every term to be able to track progress and monitor attainment.
    I also want to stop this 'fire fighting' in year 6. I don't think it is just us struggling with APP so if anyone has any thoughts - please be supportive!! - I would be very grateful
    many thanks