1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To anyone with a police caution/ conviction

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Anonymous_Student_Teacher, Mar 27, 2019.

1. I am writing this post for anyone who has a police caution/ conviction on their record and wants to become a teacher.

I know what you are going through. How you are feeling. "What is the point of going through my PGCE if I might not even be appointed at the end of it by anyone?"

I, until very recently, was in the same boat as you. In 2018, I was given a police caution for criminal damage after I stupidly and accidentally damaged someone else's roof. I paid the full extent of the damage and sent a letter of apology to the owner of the property. However, I was given a police caution which will show on my record for the next 6 years.

I was recently appointed for an NQT position in an outstanding school in the South of England after 9 months of hell and uncertainty over my future. You can do the same.

When I was considering applying to do my PGCE, I saw many forums on here and on places like the Student Room saying things like "you will never get a job with a criminal record" or "schools will throw your application away as soon as they see your record." I can tell you that this is not always the truth. If you are honest and upfront with your applications and explain the circumstances behind your criminal record, schools can often see past your imperfections and will look at your relevant experience and qualifications.

Having a criminal record does not have to be a burden, you can use it to show how resilient you are. You can show how much you have changed and what you learnt from it. Mistakes happen, don't let the mistake define you. Things go wrong - everyone has a skeleton in their closet, ours just happens to be on a piece of paper.

No matter what anyone tells you, you can put your past behind you. Just be honest at interview with the headteacher and put as positive of a spin as possible on it. You will get there eventually.

I just wanted to say this as I know that some people may be in the same position as I was just 9 months ago. Please message me if you want any advice but don't want to post on here.

Good luck!

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Good for you. After over 20 years in the sector I can safely say much depends on demand for teachers. There are shortages everywhere and while they remain rules previously adhered to may well be relaxed, things can change, things do change just take a look at the fluctuating thickness of the jobs section in TES, it might not really be all about you.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

An ex colleague of mine was in a similar situation - he had a caution for criminal damage dating back to university days when he was trying to get the attention of his girlfriend by throwing stones at her bedroom window and managing to break it. Most people do stupid things when they are younger and some are more fortunate than others in that they did not get caught.

In similar cases, it is likely that a one off incident of this nature, when committed at a young age, will not act as a barrier to getting a job. Any issue which could be linked to child protection including drug use, is more of an issue as can be any offence which could bring your honesty into question.