1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To any NQTs who have done supply and then gone onto permanent job

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by rugby_gal06, May 8, 2012.

1. What is it like when you finally have your own class? Is it easier?
    I'm supplying at the moment and I'm hoping that I'm lucky enough to finally secure a post for this September. Basically, I just wondered what it would be like from making this transition from supply teacher to permanent teacher.
    Thanks

2. Hi, I did supply for 2 and a half years until I secured a job. The first term I did spend most of my evening working till late and then most of Sunday as well. However I just didn't care! I knew what I was getting into when I decided to be a teacher and I enjoyed the teaching part to much for the paperwork to annoy me. Now I'm more ornagised and don't do as much work at home. I still drive to work with a big smile thinking "yey, I've got a job". I love having my own class, planning my own lessons and just feeling part of a school community.
    Good luck!

3. Thanks for the reassurance. I have everything crossed that something comes along this term and I can actually experience this all for myself :)

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I did supply for a year before securing a job for the September. I felt supply really helped me with my NQT as I was really strong on behaviour management and felt quite happy with cross-curricular things as I had sat in on so many subjects. It also really helped me decide what kind of school I was happy to work in.

Make sure you really sell supply work as a positive on your cover letter.

5. From experience I would say supply teaching is easier! In a way, having your own actual class is great, BUT there is SO much more to teaching than you realise when supplying.

6. I think that depends a lot on the school as to if it is easier or not. I have done long term supply contracts so I do know there is more to teaching than what you get on supply!