1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To all of the gardeners out there

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cosmos, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Go and buy some nice new compost - multi purpose is fine. Make sure you have pots just a little bigger than the ones they are in at the moment - not hugely bigger.
    Gently remove plant from pot by holding pot upside down, remembering to support plant with your hand and shake it free. Remove as much old compost from around the roots as you can - gently. Fill new pot about half full of new compost. place plant in pot to check levels. It shouldn't stand proud of the rim of the pot nor should it be too far down. When you are satisfied that the level is right fill the pot with compost, firming it in as you go - this means pressing down with your fingers around the sides so that you leave no air pockets. Do it firmly but no need to ram it in. Leave at least 2cms clear at the top of the pot otherwise when you water compost will cascade over the sides making a mess. Water thoroughly. Easy peasy.

2. Thanks Cosmos. The pots are big planters though so I cant just turn them upside down and replace. I need to somehow separate the weeds and the plants that I want to keep but dont know how to do this without killing.
    Thanks
    The plant murderer

3. Okay. Sometimes you will find that you can remove the whole plant matter by just pulling it out. lf it is reluctant to come out try watering it thoroughly before you start, it should make it easier - if not, dig it out with a trowel. Lay the plants down on a piece of newspaper, this will be messy, and tease the plants apart.You can be quite firm with them, you are unlikely to do any damage but obviously don't rip the roots off the ones you want to keep. Sort out which are weeds and discard (you don't want to end up replanting them!) and proceed as above.
    If yu are reusing the existing containers I would recommend you give them a wash - very diluted soapy water is fine, before you replant.

4. You're a star! Thanks so much.
    Am going to venture to garden centre and buy my first ever pair of gardening gloves as I really dont like the creepy crawlies!

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

If you've got some old washing up gloves they'll do to keep the creepy crawlies off your hands - gardening gloves are expensive and you only need them for those jobs where there is a possibility of getting thorns in your hands (IMO).
    Make sure you water the pots thoroughly (a bucket of water in each pot) as it has been quite dry lately and it will make your job easier. Good luck.

6. Personally, If it is just a few strawberries in pots an primula. just go and buy new and put into bigger containers. Total cost of new plants maybe £20, but you are weed and disease free from teh off.

7. But you still have the old pot full of grotty old plants and things that could be saved. What do you do with that? Chuck it out? Too wasteful.
    I'm with cosmos. For a tiny bit of effort - half an hours work - you allow something useful that is still alive and growing to live a little bit longer and produce fruit. And you don't spend money unnecessarily. And you have a sense of accomplishment.

8. And you have a sense of accomplishment.

And that is the best feeling!

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

if strawberry plants have been there while there is no point in replanting.Eiser to throw out the old and start anew.......old strawbery plants need replaceing every 3-4 years!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm sure that's put about by strawberry plant salespeople - mine are perfectly happy and still productive though I have loads more since I plant up the baby plants too.

11. The "mother" plant does need replacing after a while, but if you are planting the runners there is no need to buy any new plants.

12. oldsomeman

the reason for replacing is not to make money but because they do get viruses and'worn out,,even if you use the runners.........if they get a virus it runs though all the plants.So the recommndation....although if it works for you ,,,,,,

13. Well I've finished. I've nerver seen so many snails in my life! But managed to only freak out once- when a great big spider jumped on my hand.
    Took all the old soil to the tip and bought new compost. Dug out the strawberries and replanted them (although they are looking a bit sad) also bought and planted some bedding plants too so fingers crossed.
    Am absolutely shattered now so having a glass of wine, think it's only right to christen the new plants. Feeling quite protective of them actually.

14. oldsomeman

well done
    just make sure they get plenty of water , but dont drown them
    the strawbetrry plant will reveive in a day or two..and they will soon be growing.!