1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TMJ advice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Seadream, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I've posted this in health too - I wondered whether anyone suffers and what treatment you have had (that works). I don't grind my teeth, I tense my jaw in my sleep. I am permanently tired and always have a lingering headache. I'm totally fed up with it and wondered what I can do. The doctor and dentist have confirmed that I have TMJ but have not recommended treatment except ibuprofen and sleeping tablets...

2. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I've posted this in health too - I wondered whether anyone suffers and what treatment you have had (that works). I don't grind my teeth, I tense my jaw in my sleep. I am permanently tired and always have a lingering headache. I'm totally fed up with it and wondered what I can do. The doctor and dentist have confirmed that I have TMJ but have not recommended treatment except ibuprofen and sleeping tablets...

3. I have a mouthguard that I have to wear when I sleep.

4. invincible

invincible New commenter

I was diagnosed with TMJD last year after suffering extreme pain in my neck and shoulders. My doc and dentist prescribed physiotherapy and manual therapy for me which was great but didn't get to the root of the problem. Then my dentist measured me up for a splint, a kind of plastic guard that fits around your teeth, and I also have to wear it when I sleep. Hate it though as I can't breathe and swallow properly when I have it in so I usually end up taking it back out. For the first few weeks, it seemed to work okay. After that there didn't seem to be much improvement but the dentist said he couldn't do much more except keep checking up on me.
    Ask your dentist about all the above and see how you get on. Good luck with it! I know how painful it can be.

5. invincible

invincible New commenter

BTW, I live in Germany and it's easier to get physio here than it might be back home. Still worth asking though. Another thing I forgot to mention, which I have used with good results, is one of those "memory pillows" which supports the neck and head and helps stop pain. Also worth a try. I swear by mine.

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I do this! At varying times of the year it's more prominent than others. I tense it and 'suck' my teeth but don't grind them. If i'm stressed i find it's worse. Sometimes it has an effect on my jaw so much that it gets achy and stiff in the mornings and can be sore to open and close my mouth. I have had a memory pillow and have found it did nothing to help! Sorry.

7. Before you pay for a dentist/orthodontist to make you a mouth guard, I would suggest you try one you can buy that moulds to your teeth- just to get an idea go to amazon and put 'mouth guard teeth grinding' in the search. You will be amazed at what comes up and reading the reviews will give you a good idea about what might work for your particular problem. I have had two 'night guards' purpose made by dentists twenty years apart and both have ended up in a drawer so see whether it works for you at a fraction of the cost. They do work but seriously you need to look at factors such as stressful job etc. that cause the problem. It can also be related to pillows, sleeping position, as others have mentioned. Is your bed too hard - I find that with a very hard mattress or when sleeping on the floor (don't ask!) I use my head to take the weight when I turn over - not good - and wake up with a splitting headache. I grind as well but coming from a family of grinders I think it may be genetic. As for ibuprofen, you might find a glass of Sanatogen tonic wine or some similar 'medicinal' beverage just before bedtime works just as well. (or HORLICKS for the more abstemious).
    I have just googled TMJ having never heard of it. It sounds like something invented by doctors and dentists - so many people suffer from it I reckon it is just one of those 'poor design' things that afflict 75% of the human population. (probably 100% but the other 25% have more pressing things to worry about).
    Anyway, hope you can get some relief from a problem which can range from annoying to quite distressing. Worrying will only make it worse so perhaps you could also try some yoga or relaxation classes.
    Let us know how it goes and what (if anything) works for you!

8. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Thank you for all your responses. I think I may try the chiropractor, massage,relaxation route and I will try the pillow - nothing to lose! I'm not sure about the mouth guard as I know I'll end up not wearing it... I do actually have a moulded set that I made when I did some teeth whitening - maybe I'll try that first just in case it works for me.