1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TMJ advice please

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Seadream, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I wondered whether anyone suffers and what treatment you have had (that works). I don't grind my teeth, I tense my jaw in my sleep. I am permanently tired and always have a lingering headache. I'm totally fed up with it and wondered what I can do. The doctor and dentist have confirmed that I have TMJ but have not recommended treatment except ibuprofen and sleeping tablets...

2. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I wondered whether anyone suffers and what treatment you have had (that works). I don't grind my teeth, I tense my jaw in my sleep. I am permanently tired and always have a lingering headache. I'm totally fed up with it and wondered what I can do. The doctor and dentist have confirmed that I have TMJ but have not recommended treatment except ibuprofen and sleeping tablets...

3. I haven't. I do grind my teeth and was offered a mouthguard thing, which I believe is primarily intended to protect the teeth. It wouldn't stop the tensing of the jaw. In the end I didn't take up the offer because I had to start taking a tri-cyclic antidepressant for panic attacks. They relaxed me all over!

4. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Hmm, I take sertraline anti-d which isn't tricyclic -perhaps I should speak to my doctor about trying this.

5. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

I suffered from it around 20 years ago and was successfully treated at the Dental Hospital in Manchester.

I was given a mouthguard which was not to stop me grinding my teeth (never did that anyway) but to keep my lower jaw slightly apart from my upper one. I was also given ibruprofen. It worked in that I haven't had any problems since then but I was not on any other medication.

A dentist friend at the time told me that most TMJ is stress-related and looking back, there was plenty of stress about then.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Hypnosis to stop you tensing up in your sleep?