1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLRs... any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Discussion in 'English' started by happygirl1990, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Hi all, I am currently about to complete my NQT year and have been offered the temporary position for next year as Head of Key Stage 3 in my subject. I know nothing about TLRs so could anyone give me an indication of how the TLR is worked out in terms of money? It appears to be quite a wide bracket! Is it based on the size of school? Maybe the experience? How much money the school's got? Thanks in advance :)

2. Hi all, I am currently about to complete my NQT year and have been offered the temporary position for next year as Head of Key Stage 3 in my subject. I know nothing about TLRs so could anyone give me an indication of how the TLR is worked out in terms of money? It appears to be quite a wide bracket! Is it based on the size of school? Maybe the experience? How much money the school's got? Thanks in advance :)

3. You've understood it! As regards the sum of money: Ask. Being in charge of KS3 is sometimes the Second in English post. It is, as you might expect, a big post and, importantly, time must be given for you to delivery the role, not just the money. I work in a school of 1500 students and the second in English - who is responsible for KS3 - is paid approx £6,000. So, a smaller school should be around £4500 I would thing. But others might share info about what they are paid for the role. TLRs can come in at different levels, I work in a faculty where there are, theoretically, three very low level TLRs at £2,500, a 'third in English' post that is going to be redefined at around £4,500, 2i/c on approx 6K and the HOF on £9K. Hope that gives you some general background. Whoever, in your position, express an interest to the Head - or whoever you need to,and ask what the TLR means in £££££'s.

4. Thanks very much for that helpful info. There's approximately 1200 students in my school but the position is not for 2nd in dept. The figure that was in the air was £2535 (the very bottom of the slope) ... In your experience would this seem a little low?

Should there be more time off timetable for the role?

Thanks again.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

It depends on the structure in place in the school. There is no standard and I expect (given the closed nature of school pay structures) it varies a LOT.
    Not necessarily.

6. If they are asking for you to be in charge of KS3 and for an important subject, that's too low as far as I'm concerned. Frankly, they seem to be taking the ****. As for time off timetable, along with PPA, if you hold a TLR you are entitled to management time as well. In the very old days, it was one additional free period per management point per week; so a HOD would get 4 additional periods a week on top of that which a main scale teacher would receive. Most schools translated that into their TLR structure, so to offer £2500, implies just one additional period a week to do a huge job.

7. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

£2.5k sounds about right. That, and 2 hours each week to do the role. If you have mentors you trust and, therefore, suitable, support, I'd go for it. I would also consider in what circumstances the previous post holder left.

8. fishtail

fishtail New commenter

For an NQT that is a lot of responsibility, but valuable experience and depends partly on how well it is already set up. Not a small school, but not as huge as some. The time you will get will be probably the crucial factor but don't be surprised if it is not as generous as 2 hours a week.

9. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Not to be too cynical, but I'll be surprised if you get TLR time in addition to your NQT time. I would enquire about the previous post-holder, and seek support for the management issues of a large department. As an NQT in my dept, I would expect you to research and complete all the administration necessary for KS3, and put (with my help) procedures in place to support/track implementation. Of course, I wouldn't expect an NQT of any ability to be responsible for non-implementation of such procedure (i.e. marking issues) but I would expect such procedures to be passed by someone senior.

Worthwhile taking, as has been said. Someone more experienced (long in the tooth) would be able to allocate some specific PPA time to the post and say that they're doing no more, but I wouldn't do that that just yet...

10. Thanks for the information there. One more question... even though it is a temporary scenario and the current post-holder is a few years more experienced than me, can I be paid less for the responsible as he is currently?

11. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

In theory, no. The whole point of TLRs was that they were in the school pay structure, open and transparent, and were pay for the job/role not the person (they replaced the old Management Points which were paid for a variety of reasons, seemly random and inconsistent). There had to be a minimum of £1500 between each level - so if the bottom of TLR 2 is £2500 then the next level up has to be a minimum of £4000. In my experience, the amount of additional free time was not part of this, so more at management discretion / possibly negotiable but schools do tend to try for parity - so everyone on TLR 2a all get the same number of frees etc.
    However, if you have gone to Academy status then there is nothing to stop them changing what they do with roles, subject to employment law. For example, if you are replacing a man and you are female and they try to pay you less you could claim sex discrimination...
    Also, with Recruitment and Retention points there is more flexibility than the above suggests - and R&R points don't have to be declared on the school pay structure!
    I hope this helps.

12. Hi, I'm Head of KS3 in English and am on the lowest point on the TLR scale: £2535. Aside from my normal three PPAs per week I also get one other free period. However, I'm not the second in English, she is in charge of KS4. I don't know if this is normal, I assumed I was being offered the right amount! I teach in a school of approximately 1000 students, including sixth form. Our headteacher is notoriously tight with money, so maybe what I'm getting is a little low...