1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR3b

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ticklyears, Jun 15, 2015.

1. I started a new teaching job in September. The HoD has been on maternity leave for the year, and no-one was appointed as 'acting' HoD, so the duties have been split between myself and our Head of Faculty for the year. I have taken on a fair amount of extra responsibility during this time, including coordinating the A Level course alone. The HoD has now returned part time and stepped down as HoD. I have been expecting the position to come up for a while, and now it has been advertised internally, but the conditions are different to what I was expecting, and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this new TLR3 payment, or has any advice. Basically, the job is now advertised as a 'leadership of department with responsibility for teaching and learning' and is offered on a 1 year fixed term basis (we have a new Head starting Sept and school are worried they might restructure - this is the reason I have been given anyway) and the TLR is now TLR 3b (£1513). Other heads of similar sized (small) departments are on TLR 2a/b.

I have been doing a little bit of reading about these TLR3s - I know that you can only be paid them on a fixed term/'one-off' basis, and that you should not be line managing any staff under this payment.

I really want to apply as I am only at the end of my third year of teaching, and this is obviously a great development opportunity, but I also don't want to be 'underpaid'. If I get an interview, what questions should I be asking about this, or would you advise against it?

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

As you say, TLR3s are for time-limited or one-off projects – things like designing and implementing a new AfL system, a project to raise boys' attainment, perhaps introducing a new course etc. I don't see how a head of department fits this definition.

Nevertheless, that is what the school has offered. You therefore take it or leave it. You can't say anything if you get an interview: the structure has been decided upon and it can't be rewritten on a whim.

If you don't like what's on the table, then don't apply.

3. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

As the poster says above, I don't see how a TLR 3 fits a HoD post, they are for short term projects to raise certain areas of schools performance. And you are going to do be responsible for T and L in a department. I personally would not do the job of HoD for that sort of money - I have been offered a small TLR posts that isn't hoD and its nearly twice what you're being offered. Tell them you don't want to do it for that sort of money and see if they up their offer.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Agree, it is up to you. For my money unless your department is art/music/ drama etc then I am not sure you have the experience yet to be a HoD. Are you in a position where you can lead a dept on results etc?

I would not apply for the pay. I don't think there is a rush at your stage of career. If no one applies and they come back to you, negotiate then.