1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR2a - Take home pay - Querying tesfaq calculator?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by impulce, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Hi,
    As of September I will be moving to M4 and be recieving a TLR of £2535.
    When I put this into the TESFAQ Pay Calculator - it equates to the TLR being £117 extra a month.
    But If you take £2535, take the 22% tax off it, and then split it into 12 monthly payments - it works out at £165. The previous postholder also said this seemed a smaller amount than she thought - but she's been doing it on a part time contract so its harder to work out.
    Am I working it out wrong and the pay calculator is right, or is there a mistake somewhere?
    Thanks

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

You can't quite work it out the way you have.
    To work out the tax, you need to first remove the pension contribution. Then work out the tax/NI/student loan etc. Then take all of those things off the £2535 (tax/NI/pension/student loan) and only then divide by 12.
    The TES calculator tends to be accurate and I would suggest that the £117 will be closer to the truth.

3. Ahh OK thanks, that makes sense.