1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kool, Oct 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Kool

Kool New commenter

This is my first post and was wondering if there are any Year 2 group leaders out there or any EAL coordinators? I just wanted to know if I’m entitled to a TLR.
    I work in a 3 form entry primary school and I am the year 2 group leader and the EAL coordinator. I manage a team of 6 adults as a year group leader including organising SATs. As the EAL coordinator I manage a small team of EAL TA’s across the school. I have provided training and advice to other teachers too as part of my EAL role. I’ve been told time and time again that as I’m on the upper pay scale, these extra jobs and responsibilities are part of my duties. I have trusted my assistant head and always believed this to be true.
    Recently I had my performance appraisal with the same assistant head and I noticed there was a note about a TLR and when I questioned it I was told I had a TLR but when I said I don’t (as this does not reflect in my pay) she changed the paperwork. The same thing happened last year too. I have never been told I have a TLR but twice now it has appeared on my paperwork.
    I am now wondering if upper pay scale teachers are expected to take on extra responsibilities and not get a TLR because it’s part of our duties? Is this true? I would gladly take advice from any teachers doing similar things out there.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

You need to look at your schools pay policy. Do other year group leaders get a TLR?

3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

(Assuming you’re an STPCD school).

No, UPS doesn’t automatically mean extra duties. But all teachers, on all pay scales, can rightfully be given responsibility for looking after some whole-school area.

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

No, you’re not entitled to a TLR. Your area of responsibility is comparatively small and if they paid you a TLR, then why not the leaders of PE, RE, art, science, history, after school clubs, wet-play arrangements, school trips etc...?

However, your HT could choose to pay you one if they felt it was appropriate to do so.

5. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Each school can decide what they do or don't pay a TLR for. The advice to check your school's pay policy is sound. As others have said, it's a separate issue from UPS.

6. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

What you're doing doesn't equate to a TLR as far as I can see.
    Sit down with your HT and ask what you need to do to earn one and whether one could be available in your school over the next year or two.