1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by nelreyn, Jul 3, 2019.

1. nelreyn

nelreyn New commenter

Hi,
    Due to pay re-structuring my TLR is no longer. can someone clarify where I now stand with continuing to do the job? I have found some information that suggests if pay is safe guarded then the expectation is that you will do something for the money? Does this mean I just carry on regardless until the money changes?
    Thanks

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are on STPCD it says this about safeguarded TLR pay:

35. Additional duties

35.1. If the total of all safeguarded sums payable to a teacher from time to time exceeds £500, the relevant body must review the teacher’s assigned duties and allocate such additional duties to the teacher as it reasonably considers are appropriate and commensurate with the safeguarded sum, for as long as the teacher continues to be paid safeguarded sums which in total exceed £500.

35.2. The teacher shall not be paid any safeguarded sums if the teacher unreasonably refuses to carry out such additional duties, provided that the teacher is notified of the relevant body’s decision to cease paying the safeguarded sums at least one month before it is implemented.

3. nelreyn

nelreyn New commenter

Thanks, I found this too. Are the assigned duties mentioned above the duties that I have been doing for my TLR? I have been running a subject which now no longer carries a TLR so do I just carry on until the money changes or do they need to assign me 'other' duties because the TLR no longer exists?

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

They should assign you further duties. However, I don't think they can stop paying you your TLR unless they assign them and you refuse. If the school is happy for you to continue with your current, duties then that should be OK, as far as I can see. The school is responsible for telling you what to do. However, if you are working under STPCD conditions, you might want to have a look at STPCD to decide if your role should attract a TLR. There are some things that a teacher who does not hold a TLR cannot be instructed to do. If this is the case for you, you might be able to refuse that part of the role once your safeguarding period has ended.

By the way, I believe it is your total pay which is protected, not your TLR, so your pay can remain static during the safeguarding period. This strikes me as unfair.

5. nelreyn

nelreyn New commenter

Thanks for the reply! So just to be clear, the school can restructure and remove TLR payments and still expect the teacher to continue in that job role for 3 years because they can ask you to do other duties because of safeguarding pay? I think I am asking if I can refuse to run the department now?! Surely, if there is no longer a TLR attached to the subject area then I cannot be asked to continue to run the subject? Or have the school basically got all the cards?!

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The safeguarding maintains your pay at its current level, in numeric terms. If you are still moving up the payscale, or if you get a non-negligible infation increase, then the amount of your pay which is "safeguarding" will diminish, and you should do less when that happens.

If you're a one-teacher subject, you might still be expected to do some subject-specific stuff without any TLR (just because you're the teacher that teaches the course, and someone needs to), but not any management-type stuff.

I guess it may be worth asking exactly what tasks you are doing "because of your safeguarded pay", so that if they try to say you have to carry on doing thise tasks in three years' time, you can point at that.