1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Senorita_Rubia, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Senorita_Rubia

Senorita_Rubia New commenter

Hi there, this might seem a bit of a random question (and one that I'm a bit too awkward to ask my colleagues about!) but how exactly does a teacher go about applying for TLR in their existing job? I was an NQT last year and this year have been given the responsibility for a whole key stage. It might be the case that I'm not eligible for it (although from looking at the criteria online, I seem to be fulfilling all of them), but I'm kind of going with the ethos that if I don't ask for it I definitely won't get it, but if I do ask for it, there's a chance it might come through.
    Any help please?

Thanks in advance!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

TLRs have to be there in the staffing structure of the school. They're not something awarded on merit for something you're already doing.

That said, occasionally the staffing structure may be reviewed, so if there's a strong case you could ask whether it might be considered.

I think you're in secondary, so this is responsibility for a key stage within a department? It's only likely that would get a TLR in a large department, I think, and one thing you might do is to check out whether there is more than one TLR role in similar departments. If not, you probably need to accept that this is something you do for the experience, so that later you have useful experience when you apply for TLR posts.

3. Senorita_Rubia

Senorita_Rubia New commenter

Sorry yes, should have mentioned that it's secondary.
    Right OK... I mean, like I said, it wasn't something that I was already doing, it's something new that I've been doing this year. If it's extra work that I wasn't previously doing, surely that's just cause for TLR? The criteria I've found are these:
    If I'm responsible for writing the SOWs, planning & resourcing all lessons for all applicable staff, planning & writing all assessments for the whole of key stage 3 for an entire subject (IE not just my classes), surely that fits into those categories?

The question still remains though, how would I put myself forward for it (even if my application were to be rejected)? Would it be similar circumstances to applying for UPS where you have to write a letter to the Head?

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

As someone previously mentioned, at present within your school staffing structure there is no such TLR apparent to 'put yourself forward' for…

The best thing to do is to ask at the point of being asked to take on x, y, z responsibilities extra to my main contracted duties whether they came with paid to renumerate for this extra work. What you can do now is to meet with your head teacher directly and raise it, perhaps stating that you feel you have taken on extra work with no additional pay or time in lieu of pay and see where that conversation goes. If they are not forthcoming, and while I don't agree with working for 'free', then the upshot is that you perhaps have benefited from commendable additional experience with which to apply and tout yourself or future job applications that come with a TLR attached.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

They would only create a TLR post for you if they reviewed the whole staffing structure. It may well be the case that if your work merited a TLR, so would the work of somebody in every other comparable department. It's very unlikely that they could afford to create several new TLR posts. I think the only circumstance in which it is likely that you would succeed in getting them to review things is if you are losing out relative to colleagues with similar responsibility in other departments.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  6. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

If it's anything like my school then the culture will be get people doing more for less and work that was previously TLR is now rebranded as 'experience' with an expectation that young teachers are hungry enough for promotion that they'll get involved in a race to the bottom and take on more and more work in a ridiculous bid to impress (something which can then be held against teachers who actually want a life).
    But I'm cynical because I stepped up for a TLR when a colleague was off sick, when they left continued to step in because I was told that I'd have a very good case for getting the post and the payback was the post being scrapped in the staffing structure review. 18 months work for nothing. I'm now leaving. The work is currently being shared among all the department but nobody is getting paid for it.

7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Are you sure you don't work at my place (again!). That's happened in my department. No-one will do the TLR work and it's now being farmed out amongst the rest of the department in the hope they'll do it for free......

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am not sure where you have got that idea from? You are being asked to do a fair bit here admittedly, but there is some expectation that you will do a different sort of role than that in an NQT year.

Again, what you have read online is pretty irrelevant. A school is under no obligation to offer anyone a TLR really. What subject is it? If it is, say, MFL ( a hunch from your username) then they will have to give every other person doing a similar role a TLR and realistically it won't happen. If you are in a core subject, then it may be more likely IME

How was it sold to you? Is it part of your PM? A lesson here. Don't assume things. Ask before you accept to do something.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As many of us have said many times . . . you cannot just apply for a TLR out of the blue because you feel that you are working a lot more than colleagues.

A TLR is a specific post, it is a part of the school's agreed staffing structure. As is the role of Head, or Deputy Head.

If you felt that you were working at the level of the Deputy Head, or even the Head, you couldn't just ask to be made DHT or HT and get that pay.

A school has X number of Heads, Deputy Heads, (sometimes also AHTs), and TLRs. No-one, not even the Head, can increase those. Only the Governing Body, bearing in mind several factors, including

a) the school's finances

b) other staff who might have a similar claim.

I think that the confusion about TLRs is that people assume it is the same as a sum of money, an allowance. Yes, you get an allowance, commonly called a TLR2b or whatever. But you can only get that if you hold one of the designated TLR posts. Just as you can only get the DHT salary if you hold the designated post of DHT.

And if there isn't a TLR vacant in your school, or if there isn't a Deputy Headship vacant in your school, then in that case . . .

Best wishes.

10. purplecarrot

Sometimes I wonder if we're at the same school. If not, a sad situation as that's two schools losing staff at this kind of rate.
    It relies on people picking up the work in order to get more for less. Suddenly the extra becomes the norm and more and more gets added as people become desperate to prove how 'dedicated' they are. Sigh.

11. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I think I've asked you that before!

You are spot on although I would also add that people are desperate to show how dedicated they are and how many hours they work because they fear that they are put on capability and lose their jobs.

You cannot get the best out of people if they are working excessive hours and are looking over their shoulder all the time.

12. purplecarrot

Exactly. And it's fast becoming that way e.g. 'we don't need TLRs because we'll shove it under the sustained extended contribution from UPS staff'. Staff can't work like that but as soon as staff turnover goes up, it's a sign to the teaching community that the school is in difficulty.

Compassman likes this.
  13. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

And before too long you end up with this....

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/oct/13/schools-harris-academy-teachers-ofsted

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

15. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

My pleasure Theo!

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing Thumbs Up emoticon for @johnberyl )

Best wishes