1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR - What would be a fair point?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by GruffyMax, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I'm secondary & when the HoD left I was made 'KS3 Co-ordinator' and given a R&R point for this academic year. I was just out of my NQT year & they wanted to see if I could cope running a department, which I think is fair enough. I was given the target of getting a GCSE option group (there hadn't been an option group for a few years under the old HoD).
    We've just had our option forms back & there's 2 groups, as there's 2 of us in the department it'd be fair if we have one each, plus I think it would be good for us.
    I suspect I'll have a meeting with the head in the next few weeks about my temporary position, and what title/time/pay I should expect.
    What I'd like to know before that meeting is what TLR would be fair for a HoD? The school is in financial difficulties so I suspect they might try to offer me the lowest TLR point, and as I've only been teaching for 3 years would this be a fair amount? What is the 'going rate' for HoD? I trust the head & don't think he would do something that is unfair, but I don't want to be naive at the same time!
    Gruffy

2. Hello,
    I'm secondary & when the HoD left I was made 'KS3 Co-ordinator' and given a R&R point for this academic year. I was just out of my NQT year & they wanted to see if I could cope running a department, which I think is fair enough. I was given the target of getting a GCSE option group (there hadn't been an option group for a few years under the old HoD).
    We've just had our option forms back & there's 2 groups, as there's 2 of us in the department it'd be fair if we have one each, plus I think it would be good for us.
    I suspect I'll have a meeting with the head in the next few weeks about my temporary position, and what title/time/pay I should expect.
    What I'd like to know before that meeting is what TLR would be fair for a HoD? The school is in financial difficulties so I suspect they might try to offer me the lowest TLR point, and as I've only been teaching for 3 years would this be a fair amount? What is the 'going rate' for HoD? I trust the head & don't think he would do something that is unfair, but I don't want to be naive at the same time!
    Gruffy

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

at my school all HoDs of Foundation subjects get a TLR2b, irrespective of age, experience etc

4. In most schools, Hods in English and Maths would be TLR 1, but smaller option subjects more like 2b or 2c. Just look at your school's pay structure or ask HR - it's not something you can negotiate.