1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR removed

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by twinklekaz, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Hello, how much notice does my school have to give me to remove my TLR, I have been acting Curriculum Leader with a TLR 2 since January, covering my CL. My initial contract said I would have the TLR until August 31st, but my CL came back to work on Friday on a phased return so I had a phone call from my Head to say they were removing my TLR from next week, when I questioned my contract she said it didn't count. I'm glad to get my CL back but don't think it's fair that they've given me such short notice. Many thanks for any advice.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If you have a contract that doesn't specify a date or say something like 'any earlier date as notified'...then you should speak to your Union.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If it is specifically a maternity cover contract they usually say that the contract can end when the employee on ML returns even if it's earlier than the original date in your contract. A school can't say that contracts 'don't count', but the provision for earlier termination isn't because the contract 'doesn't count'. it's because the contract allows for it.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you have a contract then it counts. the only way I can see that this would be OK would be if it stipulated that the TLR would end on the return of the holder of the post. As Rott Weiler points out, this is standard for maternity leave. The advice to contact your union is good, although showing the Head that you understand your rights might obviate the need for this this.

5. It's a difficult situation I don't want to go into personal detail but it was initially to cover maternity leave until August 31st, but it then changed to sick leave, hence the phased return, on my initial contract there is no stipulation on the post holder returning as it was supposed to be a fixed term thing. I hope that makes sense. I think I will contact my union, the Head's argument is that my CL is now taking back the responsibilities therefore I am no longer doing that job, which I understand, but I had family budgeted for the money through to August

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The Head can argue what she wants, but she should have written an early end clause into your contract if that is what she wanted. I think that she could give you other equivalent responsibilities for the short time remaining n the school year, but can't see how she can get out of honouring your contract.

However, it may (unfairly and off the record) be held against you if you apply for a TLR in the future, so it is worth thinking about whether you might gracefully retreat on this one. Or offer a compromise? Just a suggestion.

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

The wording on the contract is everything here. Check the terms and conditions carefully and consult your union if unsure. If it is a genuine FT until 31/08 then the Head cannot renage on that and must pay you. If termination date is variable however she does not have to.

Be aware of tight time limits to bring an unpaid wages claim in ET. More flexibility to bring as breach of contract in county court.