1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR query

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by aandreaa, Mar 28, 2017.

1. aandreaa

aandreaa New commenter

Hello! I'm Head of Year in the school I work in. We are going to have an extra form next year and I was wondering if this should attract a higher TLR? Is the TLR related to the number of students?
    Thank you!

2. tosh740

tosh740 New commenter

Hi, it depends on the schools pay policy. TLR points are generally linked to the number of people you manage not necessarily students you are responsible for. I can't see adding an extra form would attract a higher TLR, as it would have to follow the cohort through the system, year on year. Also raises the question about Year 11 being more diffficult than Year 8 - should different Year groups attract different TLR scales? Key point would be parity between yourself and the other Heads of Year.

phlogiston and DYNAMO67 like this.
  3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Can't se any reason why it should, although I understand why you are asking.
    plus a dangerous president, numbers go down, so TLR goes down.

phlogiston and DYNAMO67 like this.
  4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I will keep this simple- No it shouldn't attract a higher TLR.

tosh740 likes this.
  5. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Maybe discuss with the head teacher. It shouldnt attract a higher salary but the head teacher can increase it on the basis of yearly progress or targets reached.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The part of the salary which is usually performance related is in which pay range and where on the pay range the teacher is placed, The size of TLRs depends on the role rather than how well it is done. Coming back to the OP, I doubt if an extra form is enough for a change in the TLR, although there is no harm in asking.

7. aandreaa

aandreaa New commenter

Thank you all very much!