1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR post as literacy coordinator - what is the work life balance?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by yogagirl, Sep 12, 2011.

1. yogagirl

yogagirl New commenter

There is a new post coming up in school as the Literacy coordinator has left for a year. I am not sure whether or not to apply as I don't really know what is involved and how much time this would take from my work life balance.... is it really worth the extra 2k a year? I don't want to ask what is involved until I have more info because if I think it's too much, they'll think I am work shy! Anyone any experiences with this role? I am currently PPA cover in school, so don't really have the chance to teach literacy myself.. Any comments or thoughts?
    Much appreciated, thanks

2. ???? If you are weighing up pros and cons of a new role it is perfectly acceptable to ask for further information to inform your decision. There is nothing "work shy" about this. You need to decide whether the extra work (which, after tax will equate to around £110 per month) is worth the extra time you will be investing. This is a two-way thing and no HT worth his salt will think less of you for asking for the information you need to make your choice.

3. It depends on the size of your school, but if you have more than say 100 pupils, I would seriously advise against it for the pay increase to workload ratio.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Like many things the job is what you make it. Our literacy and numeracy co-ords both get the same TLR payment, but one does infinitely more work than the other.

Of course you should ask for more details. You would for any external post wouldn't you?

5. Hi
    I have recently took on this responsibility . My situation is a little different as our Lit co-ordinator is also a key stage manager and the role was split 3 ways - key stage mangager, ks1 Lit co-ordinator and KS2 co-ordinator and the TLR was split. As for my role: I collect data and send it to LA, organise our phonics groups, order resources, attend co-ordinator meetings (havent actually done this yet!), track phonic progress,reading ages and book bands across EYFS and KS1. I attend SMT meetings once a month. I also set up a reading army in school (this was suggested but I could have declined) as reading was a main target from Ofsted (and they were due!). I decided although it wasnt much money the experience would be invaluable and would look good on my CV if I decided to move schools. I assume you will get management time - which I haven't. It hasn't really impacted on my work life balance anymore than my everyday teaching does. I would definitely reccomend asking for details of the role as you cant make an informed deision if you havent got the full facts or know what is expected of you. Your HT will be expecting you to ask. Good Luck x

6. yogagirl

yogagirl New commenter

Thank you, I will ask. I am also the global coordinator and this takes a lot of time. I will be expected to be the lit coordinator from EYFS to year 6, so I gather. We are a three form entry school so I think this will be a little bit too much for £2k after tax a year....
    I will give it thought though! Thanks for your input.

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

What's a global coordinator?

8. I am rather worried that a literacy coordinator thinks it is good English to write 'I have took' (Ihave TAKEN'!!!) and also can't spell 'recommend'. Aren't we setting an example?