1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR point

Discussion in 'English' started by lecce, Feb 12, 2011.

1. I have recently been promoted and now have a TLR within my department. Part of my new role is to revamp our schemes of work and create medium and short-term plans as most of our units did not have these. I enjoy this but it is a mammoth task, though my HoD is realistic in term of target-setting for me so that is good.
    The problem is that a couple of the older teachers have made snide comments about materials I have provided, saying in front of a roomful of people that they were 'dry' or didn't really work. In one case it turned out he hadn't taken in a key resource and it was hinted that this was my fault as he had said 10 minutes before the lesson to me "Have I got anything else for this?" but I was about to go to my own lesson and couldn't look at it properly.
    Am I right in thinking that people are still responsible for their own lessons and may wish to adjust what I have planned to suit their own style and needs of their particlar students? If they wish to clarify something with me should it not be done at a mutually convenient time, not when I am rushing to a lesson?
    I hope I'm not being overly sensitive and precious about this. I, like most other teachers have some great lessons in a week and some not so great. I have had positive feedback from other colleagues. I'm not really sure how to handle this, I'm starting to dread a couple of the teachers teaching a particular unit because I know what the comments will be after!
    Thanks for reading.

2. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Enough already!
    Try substituting the word 'experienced'.
    Gruoch - a much older teacher.
    Sorry, I'm not trying to defend unprofessional attitudes, but being 'older' isn't actually a negative attribute, you know.

3. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

That is a mamooth task. Creating MTPs is a job in itself and from these teachers should create their own short term plans. In my department we each take a turn in writing a scheme of work fully. If the teachers don't like what is provided and don't think it will suit their style, then it is up to them as 'experienced' colleagues to adapt them as necessary. Alternatively ask them to contribute their less 'dry' resources to the shared drive so there are a range of resources for everyone to access. Good luck.

4. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Can't argue with that [​IMG]

5. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was just stating a fact - the two people concerned are older than most of the rest of the department. Of course I realise that that means they are also far more experienced than me. That's why it's so annoying that they won't do anything more constructive than moan.
    Thanks for the advice so far. [​IMG]

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As one of the 'maturer' teachers myself, could I suggest that you find some time to look at the MT plans with your colleagues at some point & ask them if they have anything to add or contribute. This would help them feel it's not just someone teaching their grandma to 'suck eggs'. Experienced & less experienced colleagues can & should learn from each other.