1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR payments

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by PAUL1999, Aug 4, 2016.

1. PAUL1999

PAUL1999 New commenter

hi all I'm just wondering if anyone can help, I have just finished teaching a LA/ SEN class where by 11 of 13 children with additional needs were on Sen register and in my class, however I want awarded a TLR I wanted to know if I was entitled to one and if so could I get it back dated! My school streams it's pupils so I will be getting the same deal next year! Any help would be appreciated

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

No, you're not - it doesn't work like that, and it has to be a SMT decision.

My year 11 class next year has 12 students in it - all are on the SEN register and two have statements.

I have one (excellent) TA - we manage - I don't get a TLR for that either.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have 16 in my LA class next year, ten with SEN and one full time statement. Why would a TLR be applicable, it's just teaching!

Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  4. PAUL1999

PAUL1999 New commenter

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Very nice - but you still don't qualify for a TLR.

wanet likes this.
  6. PAUL1999

PAUL1999 New commenter

This is why I asked, Just teaching is dealing with what's in class and I totally agree however if you're having to do things above standard requirements of the rest of the school then i thought it may be applicable! Last year i was doing three lots of planning, and covering objectives from year 1 to year 4 where as my counterparts were only covering year 3 or year 4 objectives! I had amazing TA also who helped me to run three classrooms as the children's needs meant they needed to be split across different rooms! So I had 3 TA and 3 classrooms!

7. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

I teach some children with sen and statemnets
    I also cover objectives from y1 - y4.
    I don't have 3 TA's to help out.
    I also have other children to make up a full class of 30 so have a lot more marking
    I don't get an sen allowance.

Most teachers in the country will be doing similar to me

Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  8. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

Also not sure which part of the statements of who should be awarded an sen allowance applies to what you are doing

wanet likes this.
  9. PAUL1999

PAUL1999 New commenter

Maybe I should
    Have mentioned that my
    Class size is 37, there is only 1 child in my class who has no additional needs!
    I thought the third bullet point and numbers points 2 and 3 were applicable I could be wrong ! I was hoping for someone to be able to guide me ! I'm
    Also required to leave clas to deal with team teach issues from another boy from another class!
    I'm not saying I'm hard done by far from it I am just looking to see if I am entitled to it!
    It seems like I've upset some people for some reason ?

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm afraid whatever that document above says (and whenever it was written) most classes these days have a high proportion of children with special needs- and don't forget very able students are also in this category, so nowadays it is all just part and parcel of the current classroom.

Noticed you've just posted (there were other posts to view) and no I don't think you've upset people, as to be making what many people consider to be unrealistic expectations of your job.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you qualified for a TLR for the reasons you stated then we would all have one.

TLRs are for extra responsibility (like being a HOD) - not for being a standard classroom teacher.

Get it yet or do we need to use crayons ?

12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sorry.

14. frustum

frustum Star commenter

TLR and SEN allowance are different things, so your question should be "am I entitled to an SEN allowance?", at least if you are appealing to the list above. The question there is whether your class is designated "a special class", or is just the lower ability group. I think that bullet point is there to cover, for example, the primary school near here which used to have a special class for children with speech and language difficulties, who came to that school from some distance around.

Yours does seem an unusual set-up, as 37 is excessive for any class, let alone lower ability. Is the expectation that you split the class between two rooms, using the TAs? That seems like depriving the lower ability of having a full-time teacher to me.

Landofla, Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You have posted a document relating to SEN allowances, not TLR ones.
    TLRs are for leading and managing other teachers, which you don't do.
    Children on the SEN register are there for a zillion different reasons. It is highly unlikely that yours are there for anything significant enough to warrant an SEN allowance. Children with those needs tend to be in special schools or in units within a mainstream school.

You clearly work in a very different school to me, but if it is streamed and you teach the bottom stream, then things aren't going to change any day soon. If you don't really feel it is for you, and it definitely wouldn't be for me, then speak to whoever does your appraisal and ask that you be considered for a different stream next year. You could ask about an extra allowance by using the point about doing more than is usual for your setting, but don't be upset if the answer is no. Make sure you use the term SEN allowance, not TLR though.

But if you were to go to a different primary, which doesn't stream, you could well have a much wider ability range in your class. I once had a year 6 group of 35 where one boy arrived with me unable to yet write his name and others arrived already approaching level 6 writing, with a similar range in maths. I had no TA ever. That's life in a primary school.

I don't think you have upset anyone, but you do need to get the idea that you aren't hard done by compared to many other schools, even if other teachers in your school tend to have it easier. You also need to get that unfortunately you aren't entitled to anything more in terms of pay.

DYNAMO67 and wanet like this.
  16. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Somebody count to ten for me please...:rolleyes:

DYNAMO67, wanet and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. PAUL1999

PAUL1999 New commenter

Peakster is clearly a fool! So I shall just ignore this troll! Thanks to the other people who have tried to help it's much appreciated.

Not really sure why people have either taken offence or felt the need to say because they don't get it no one else should. I shall take up the TLR and SEN allowance issue when I return to work as the senco in September having just completed the pgcert. I was literally just asking for advice because in my school no one else had reposnsibility for the SEN in my phase other than myself.

My class was 87% EAL
    68% ever 6 and as I said only 1 child with no additional need!

I understand it's a difficult job I've done it for a while and have extensive experience within EBD settings!

I just didn't feel it was fair the amount I had to contend with in comparison to my colleagues, who had a much more settled and easier to plan class in regards to ranges and differentaition.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

and you call me a troll ?

19. caterpillartobutterfly

@peakster is neither a fool nor a troll.
    You cannot have a TLR, you would make yourself look daft should you ask for the reasons you want one. Nothing you do entitles you to one.
    You say you are returning as the SENCO? In which case you may have a TLR for that role, however that wasn't made clear anywhere earlier.
    Which is where the last point from your link may come in. You may get an SEN allowance. However, if your school streams, presumably someone teaches the lowest stream in every year group, which may mean you get nothing.

rachelpaula008, wanet and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. caterpillartobutterfly

LOLOL @peakster I notice you aren't objecting to being called a fool? :p