1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR payments for Heads of Core Subjects

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by hebeleigh, Dec 7, 2012.

1. I work in an inner London comprehensive where Heads of Maths, English and Science are on a TLR1b with £9058 awarded. We're currently undertaking a bench-marking exercise and I would be grateful if any Heads of Maths/English/Science department/faculty could let me know what their TLR award is (1a, 1b, 1c etc) and what the corresponding financial payment is. Where you teach in the UK, your educational authority and any additional information about size of department and type of school is also very helpful. Thank you.

2. Head of Maths, Blackpool, TLR 1b (£9012)

3. But you know what the corresponding sum of money is - just look at the payscale. It's up to the school what value they attach to TLRs - HOD in a core subject will be TLR1. Unlikely to vary by region and unlikely anyone will respond in any of the detail you've requested!

4. Goodness, your post is a bit harsh. I'm not stupid and what's your point? It was only a general enquiry. I don't think you're right. Heads of English, mathematics and science are paid quite different amounts: some are classified as Heads of Faculty and get the full £12000, whilst others get only £9000. The guidance for TLRs is just that and different sums are paid by different schools. I would not have bothered to trouble such an esteemed forum without due research and prior knowledge.
    Merry Christmas and have a restful break.

5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

£9012 Maths
    general uk (not London); non sponsored academy
    approx 1100 pupils; 11-16
    9 in dept, 1 other TLR post at the lowest rung £2500ish

6. Actually there is a variation - it depends on the size/type of school. Academies and the like also confuse the issue.

They will be TLR 1 and I have seen between 7500 to 12000 in South West/Midlands.

Increasingly you see some schools appoint an Assistant Head in charge of a core subject if they want to attract a good/experienced candidate so the pay may actually be on the Leadership scale.

Our core subjects get around 8800.

7. One of the biggest schools in the country 22 staff and nearly 3000 students 11-18, head of faculty TLR payment is £10300. There really seems to be no method to how much schools pay. I know HOF in 11-16 schools who are on L15 which equates to over 50K a year. I think alot depends upon the circumstances of the school.

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Some schools who find it particularly hard to attract strong HoDs tend to place them on the leadership scale to attract and retain them.

9. I work in a school of approx 1500 and Head an English Faculty with twelve teachers (including some part-timers). All our Faculty heads get the same money - £9,000 regardless of size of faculty or its structure. So the Head of the Arts Faculty gets the same as me even though she manages 6 different departments - most of which have a HOD (paid abut £3k)- and three more staff than I do. The HOMaths gets the same even through he manages only seven staff.

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Comparisons are proverbially odious and irrelevant, for it is up to each governing body to determine the staffing structure, distribution of TLRs and the amounts within them.

11. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

Subject Leader English, Media and Film, London - TLR 1c