1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR - maternity

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by greta444, May 11, 2011.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

This is very annoying. You will take the TLR on maternity leave with you while some other teacher has to cover your role as foundation stage leader for nothing. The TLR is not transferable while you're on maternity leave.

2. Are you being rewarded for what you already do or is this tlr a new post? If you should have a tlr post now then take it with you. Your replacement will have to have the same grade to fit the job description. That however, is not your problem. Maternity pay is extremely bad anyway, a tlr won't make much difference.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

There are only so many TLR's to go around. A school cannot magically create another one to give to the person covering the responsibility

4. If anyone has a senior post and goes off on sick leave or any type of leave their job would have to be covered appropriately. Schools save money when a teacher goes on maternity leave, especially if they go over 4 months' leave which is unpaid. Those who want children are still valuable people who you'd hopefully want to encourage back! Someone I know was given two extra leadership points during maternity leave to sustain her & encourage her back. Let's look after our employees who are new mums. I wonder what happened in this case in the meeting with Head?

5. That was very generous of the school! We only have a small staff and a tight budget, have had two maternity leaves this year and possibly another one coming up next year, can see there would have been trouble if I had done that for one member of staff and not for others. I am sure most responsible senior leaders look after all their staff, including new mums.

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

If a TLR post holder is on maternity leave then another teacher wod usually get the TLR for the duration of the maternity leave. I have been a HoD for a maternity cover in the last. This is not creating a new post as it is only on a temporary basis.

7. ScienceGuy

8. greta444

greta444 New commenter

The TLR stays with the person on maternity. It can't be transferred while the person with the TLR is on maternity leave.

9. This is what you get for Maternity leave as a teacher: one month full pay, second month 8/10, 2 months 1/2 pay then if you choose to stay off work no pay.

10. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Plus that proportion of the TLR. Believe me, we've been through this with HR numerous times.

11. Women who get to the top quickly or at any pace and put off having kids are often treated very differently by school leaders when they suddenly want a family. Their expertise and experience can be lost to the profession if they are not treated with due respect. A TLR2 is not a great expense for a couple of months to keep good people in the job.

12. greta444

greta444 New commenter

It is for us! However, I agree in principle with you that good people should be rewarded/have an incentive to be kept in their job. I'm just trying to get across that the TLR cannot be taken from the person going on maternity leave to be given to the person covering their responsibility.

13. ScienceGuy

I
    If a person is covering a responsibility during a maternity leave then they can be paid the relevant TLR. This has happened in every school I have worked in (secondary). I can see in primary schools there being a difficulty in paying for this; however it would be crazy to take on the hassle and responsibility without getting the pay!

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Some people take things on to gain experience. It's not unheard of.