1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR/HoD allowance reduced without warning (Dear Theo et al - independent)

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by daveclark747, Aug 6, 2015.

1. daveclark747

daveclark747 New commenter

Hello,

I am a Head of Department at an HMC school

Earlier this week, we all received a letter giving confirmation of our salaries for the next academic year. As far as the overall salary point goes, mine was as expected. However, my HoD allowance has been halved - and I had no idea that this was going to happen, and there have been no changes etc in my department and the scope and scale of my responsibilities. There has been nothing to indicate that SMT are anything other than pleased with my work. Anyway, this has meant that my pay is actually going down by a significant amount.

I will contact my union rep when we're back at school, but is there anything I can do for now? I'm obviously quite upset about this. HR and Finance are all at work over the summer, I think, and the SMT are around at various times, but obviously I won't see my school union rep til September 1st...

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Contact your regional reps.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear! How upsetting in the hols!

First of all, do you have some sort of contract or letter setting out the salary that you were getting? Look it out!

Secondly, assume that this is a clerical error. Write to HR saying you have noticed an error in the letter of X that they sent with details of next year's salary and HoD allowance, and that you understand that your overall remuneration will in fact be £x salary + £x HoD = £ Total.

Thirdly get in touch with your regional union - school rep will not be relevant here, they will know as much as you do about employment law and changing of conditions of employment! This is a precautionary measure in case point 2 doesn't get the desired result.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

TheoGriff is right - the "there has been a mistake" is the best approach, I think. This happened to me; I had been given notice that part of my TLR was going, but later on I swapped the part that was going for something permanent. A new Head saw the reduction on my file and not the later change. A polite exchange of emails sorted it.

I also agree that it is a good idea to get the Union prepared now, but not actively involved unless the school persists with the error.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My first thought was that it was an error. Check that avenue first before you bring in the union.

6. daveclark747

daveclark747 New commenter

Phew - had a meeting this morning and yes, it was an error. But thanks, all, for your posts.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter