1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR for two different jobs at the same time?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by choccymonster, May 27, 2011.

1. Hi
    I currently get a TLR2b for being HOD for a small Business department and have just been offered the position of KS3 Raising Achievement co-ordinator (TLR2a). In addition to this I am currently on M6 and will be expressing an interest towards moving towards the UPS in September.
    My line manager has today told me I cannot receive both TLR payments at the same time?
    My understanding of this is "Although a teacher cannot hold more than one TLR, a TLR can be based on a job description that itemises several different areas of significant
    responsibility." (NUT)
    I have booked in to see the Head after half term, Am I right in thinking I can receive payment for more than one position (otherwise it seems daft for them to offer me the additional recent post!)
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. You can't receive two TLRs.
    They can, if they wish, and as part of a restructuring, create a role which encompasses both responsibilities and therefore pay you *one* higher TLR.

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I hold 2 (very) different areas of responsibility, one which carries a 2b and one which carries bottom 2 - they have been aggregated to give me a single payment of a higher level.

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

what littlerussell said

5. I'm potentially going to be in a similar situation. I have a whole school responsibility at TLR 2b and am about to apply for KS3 Leader role also at TLR 2b. If I am successful, would my TLR have to be capped at the maximum of TLR 2 as I will not be line managing significant number of people?

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Most heads will expect you to do one or the other - not both, if you were successful in your application for the KS3 leader role. If I were your head, I'd make it clear that combining both jobs and pay were not up for grabs, especially as I might well want to offer your current post up for application in order to provide further career progression for another teacher.