1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR - Do I give it up?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by BusinessCOP, Jul 7, 2020.

1. BusinessCOP

BusinessCOP New commenter

Hello All,

Really appreciate any advice and guidance on this from those in the profession. My family and loved ones advice is lovely but not so applicable.

Basically I get a £4,000 TLR to be Raising Standards Lead at Key Stage 4 (Yr9 - Y11) - basically like an academic head of the the three year groups. Leading assemblies, learning conferences, parental engagement, incentives, interventions, staff training, planning for additional support and options.

Before this role I was an Assistant Headteacher of Pastoral so I am not scared or afraid of hardwork.

This TLR however, has me working so much, taking time away from my teaching and I am delegated to a lot (more than I have experienced in the past).

I was keen to keep the role for my CV as I want to change schools as soon as possible.

-What are peoples thoughts on giving up a TLR?
    -Also does anyone know the protocol and procedures for giving them up?

I have already asked for a lesser timetable and more money and both were rejected.

Really appreciate any ideas/guidance!
    Thanks in advance!

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Speak to your head. You have no right to give up part of your employment though I guess

if they turn round and say “nobody else wants it” or, more likely “nobody wants it who is mutually acceptable to management”- especially Given you’re clearly v well qualified for this, important job- your only avenue will be to resign your whole position

BusinessCOP likes this.
  3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Are there any other options available that do not involve whole scale resignation of the post? Could a 2 i/c be sourced -splitting some of the salary and duties ? If you continue to do the work without raising the issues and doing it successfully, they'll load with you with more. Go and talk it through.

BusinessCOP likes this.
  4. Devon Dumpling

Devon Dumpling New commenter

I gave up my tlr.

The workload was insane. I asked for time, etc etc and was ignored. So I handed my notice in for the tlr. I was told I only had to give the standard notice period for this. So that's what I did.

Best decision I ever made.

They replaced me with 4 people.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You were fortunate your school let you do this because there is no legal entitlement to do that. The TLR isn't a separate job with a separate contract of employment that you can resign from. If you are a HoD your only legal right is to resign the whole job. You can't unilaterally decide to give the bits of your job that you don't want to do.

That said, for OP all things are possible if the head agrees to it. Is there someone else willing to take on the role?

How does your management time for the role compare to other TLR staff in similar roles?

BusinessCOP and strawbs like this.
  6. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

@ Rott Weiler, I've worked in schools where HODs stepped down and other people (internal and external) were appointed to take up their roles. Whatever is doable is possible, and vice versa. Why SLT feel they can bully people into conformity no longer belong to this age and generation. A former colleague of mine in a small school (n=c.450) was solely responsible for the delivery of KS3-5 history, she asked the school to recruit more hands but her cries fell on deaf ears. She resigned, and 4 teachers (2 full time and 2 part timers) were recruited to replace her. Madness if you ask me. I experienced a similar thing, I found another job, tendered my resignation, but the school mounted pressures on me (salary increase and recruitment of additional staff) to make me stay on. My advice to the OP is to keep the job/TLR and use it as a stepping stone into another position in another school. Ensure your new roles are well defined. It's their loss for being unreasonable, and your gain.

BusinessCOP likes this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Isn't that what I said?

8. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

Depends on your finances and long term career plans, as well as what you want out of life. I went from AHT back to main scale before leaving England and moving to teach in Scotland. Life's too short.

BusinessCOP likes this.
  9. insetsceptic

insetsceptic New commenter

Health or wealth?

10. BusinessCOP

BusinessCOP New commenter

Thanks All!
    Really appreciate it, I am looking into the money and the actual difference a month and also my employability after this role. However, the mental health side is critical too. Thanks so much for your time and insight.

11. sunshineonarainyday

sunshineonarainyday Occasional commenter

Whilst I'm aware of the contractual rules surrounding this, in that the school can refuse to allow someone to do this, in both of the schools where I have worked this has been allowed. In all of the cases I can remember it was either a request to step down prior to retirement, or following maternity leave. Both schools then advertised the TLR post as an internal vacancy. It was a good way to retain great staff - the original post holders had been great at the job, and they were usually willing to provide a handover and advice to the person who took over. It also helped with retaining good staff as the internal promotion meant that they didn't apply elsewhere at that time.

12. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think it is very common for stepping down from a TLR to be facilitated. However, the fact remains that if there is nobody in the school able to take on the role, then they will need to advertise externally, and then they will need the teaching hours to offer them.
    Non-subject TLRs are usually not a problem - there's usually going to be someone in the school ready to step up, and if not, there will probably be vacancies in some subjects, so the job can be advertised externally.

The biggest problem is when the head of knitting wants to step down, and the other three teachers of knitting are uninterested or unable to step up to the role. If they advertise for a new head of knitting, somebody will have to start teaching something else instead.

The problem is also harder if it is midyear, when there is less opportunity to rewrite the timetable.

strawbs likes this.