1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR Change

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by embob2000, Aug 31, 2015.

1. embob2000

embob2000 New commenter

Just looking for some advice as to where I stand with a pay change at my school due to a staffing restructure.

Last January I took over the position of KS3 Maths Co-ordinator on a temporary basis, I was an internal candidate, the post had been advertised on the TES website with a 2b TLR and the possibility of a £2000 RR for a suitable candidate. I was given the post on a temporary basis due to being the only applicant they took through to interview. I was given the TLR 2b.

I knew the school was restructuring as I had been present at the meetings with the Head Teacher when restructuring was discussed. The head teacher said that he had spoken personally to every member of staff that the restructure would affect.

On the last day of term when I came home from school I had received a letter stating that my position was now being made permanent, but would now only be being paid a TLR 2a. During the restructuring period I had never been told that my position would be downgraded. If I had been made aware of this I would have applied for other positions within school that are for the same TLR but in my opinion require a lot less additional work. (KS5 co-ordinator and numeracy across the curriculum were internally advertised in the summer term)

I know that my contract was originally temporary so I am probably exempt from the TLR safeguarding, but I was wondering if I have to accept the position being made permanent? I would rather go back to being a "normal" main scale teacher than co-ordinating all of KS3 Maths for an extra £2613.

So really I was asking a) Can my pay be downgraded without informing me

b) Can I refuse to accept the changes and give up, with immediate effect, the TLR position

The fact that the letter was dated the 9th July but I only received it on the 16th July felt like the school were not giving me any chance to ask questions about the changes.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As the post was temporary and therefore not "yours", they can change the pay to what they have decided it's worth in the re-structuring process.

You don't have to accept it if your original contract for this post was temporary.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Just to add - they HAVE informed you. If you meant to say "without consulting me", yes, they can - the post was temporary.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am not sure why you think that KS5 requires less work, especially as the new Maths A-level, starting in 2017, will need a lot of preparation.