1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR and 'middle management' - expectations?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Sillow, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

This is my first foray into this forum, so I hope it's the right place to post my question.
    I'm starting a new job in September and will be in charge of RE (and some other things, in a CE school). For this I will get a TLR and I've been told it's a "middle management" position. I'm just wondering where that places me in terms of the staff. I'm not SLT, nor am I just a class teacher. Is everyone with a TLR on that next step up (in my current school known as LT)?
    Also, I'm assuming a TLR doesn't necessarily come with any management/subject time, but do you think RE (plus a few other subjects) in a CE school would warrant any additional time? I know I should ask the school, but don't want to appear like I'm expecting some when I'm really just unsure.
    Finally, has anyone in middle management ever gone on a management course that was actually any good?
    Thank you,
    Sillow

2. Middle management simply means exactly what you said - you're not a classroom teacher but you're not SLT either. Its used in all the schools I've worked in.
    Leading From The Middle has changed recently, so it's worth looking it up on the NCSL website. As for management time, I'd say it varies widely from school to school but in my experience it won't be a huge amount.
    You'll have an idea of what the school are expecting from you from the person and job specs they sent as part of the application process. Presumably you convinced them that you can do all this stuff, so it might be good to go back to that and do some thinking and swotting before you start. Also, once you're in post it's good to find a friendly HoD from a good department ths you can go to with questions - they'll be able to help you from a position of actually doing the job, and you won't feel like you're bombarding the head!
    Good luck - your first HoD job is a pivotal career moment, I think, and a real chance to prove your abilities. I wish you every success.

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Thank you very much, Depsci! I agree with what you've said and will probably email the Deputy Head, as she kindly gave it to me yesterday and that way, as you say, I won't be bombarding the HT! Great idea to re-check the job description and person spec, too.
    I'm really looking forward to it and can't wait to get started properly!