1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TLR and lunchtime supervision

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Compassman, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

A friend of mine who has a TLR has been told their head that they will have to lunchtime supervision next year due to budget cuts. The school is an LEA school and therefore subject to STPCD.

Now obviously this is not right but is there anywhere in print and/or website link where it states this for TLRs?

Have found it in the 2015 STPCD but would appreciate it if there was somewhere it was stated definitively for TLRs. (although I appreciate that STPCD applies to TLRs)

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No teacher may be required under their contract of employment as a teacher to undertake midday supervision.

54.2 of the STPCD

That's all there is to it. The HT is wrong.

Anonymity and Middlemarch like this.
  3. Compassman

I suspect it's a case of the HT trying to manipulate a member of staff on a TLR.

I've sent a copy of the 2015 STPCD with reference to that and hopefully that will be the end of it.

4. Whiskas

Whiskas New commenter

I used to have to do this at my previous school. It was 'expected' as part of having a TLR.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it's quite clear, and @grumpydogwoman has saved me having to find it for you.

The problem will be the pressure that will be put on teachers: With the budget cuts and extra employer's costs, we shall have to get rid of a TA ir even a teacher if you don't agree...

Best wishes

JeannieMc likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

Even the HT is not required to undertake lunchtime supervision. The HT is required to ensure it is done. And, as we know, they* (no, not ALL of them, I know that) will try lies, misrepresentation, threats and blackmail to get YOU to do it.

*the dodgy ones with few principles

JeannieMc likes this.
  7. Compassman

I think this is what may be happening here.

Trouble brewing here I suspect.

JeannieMc likes this.
  8. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

We all had to do some supervision duties at my old school. Teachers had 2 breaks a week and 1 after school duty, TLR holders normally the same or 1 more and HoDs every break and 2 lunchtimes. SLT had to be out and about every break, lunch and after school. I had always assumed it was just what we had to do, I must have been wrong all those years! :eek:

9. grumpydogwoman

No lunchtime supervision. No. That has always been enshrined in the STPCD.

People may choose to do it or have their arm twisted. But, no matter what any HT may tell you, there is every reason to decline and no way you can be compelled to do this. Short of bullying you.

upload_2016-3-22_13-39-29.png

Anonymity likes this.
  10. Compassman

Duties during morning and afternoon breaks and before and after school as long as they are part of directed time are fine. It goes to show that HTs are pushing and pushing to see what they can get away with. This is in the same way that HTs claim that those on UPS need to take on extra duties - total rubbish.

I used to get requests to go to meetings at lunchtime and it used to annoy the head when I never turned up!

11. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I suspect we, who know this 'no lunch-time duty' stuff, are of an older generation, who actually took part in Union action to achieve it.

Sad that more teachers are unaware of it.

(Then I wouldn't have been seen as such a freak by some staff, for leaving the premises at lunchtime :rolleyes:)

Good luck to your friend though @Compassman as it's tough these days to stand up for hard-earned rights.

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed. I cut my teeth as a young NUT rep leading members out at lunchtime for ages to put an end to the requirement that staff do lunch duty.

If people want to volunteer and be paid for it - VOLUNTEER - fine. But I didn't want to be made to do them as a young teacher in the 80s (when life was far less hard for teachers than it is now) and I stand by that now.

13. grumpydogwoman

What annoys me is that teachers DO usually know this but do it anyway.

However there are a lot of them who then whinge about it. You don't want to do it? Then don't. You decide to do it because you think you should or because you feel you can't stand up to the boss or it makes for an easier life not to get into a confrontation or because you feel it's needed? That is your right. But don't moan about it later.

I don't really blame HTs for asking the question. It's wrong to lie and say that teachers MUST do it as a contractual obligation. But the terms of the STPCD? It's not rocket science?

cazzmusic1, Anonymity and cissy3 like this.
  14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I can understand why an individual teacher may not want to be the one who puts their head above the parapet and tells the head it's not allowed so why on earth aren't the school union reps jointly going to the head on behalf of the staff collectively? Seems like an obvious case for union action.

cazzmusic1 and cissy3 like this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

I wanted to! I got told not to rock the boat. They wanted to do it. They were happy with it! :rolleyes:

cissy3 likes this.
  16. Compassman

And, as I found out in my experience you might get the few who do complain who then get threatened by the HT. That makes the others fearful of rocking the boat. There is a culture of fear in many schools.

Anonymity and cissy3 like this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

Not enough teaching on the hard-won battle for employment rights! Not enough history-teaching. :mad:

cazzmusic1, Compassman and cissy3 like this.
  18. Compassman

That is the concern that despite the fight of many people over the years conditions are being eroded by fear.

cissy3 likes this.
  19. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

Yup. Been there as well. It drives me MAD!

cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

I always felt as if it was just me! @Anonymity

As if I was a troublemaker when I was just standing up for them!

upload_2016-3-22_17-21-22.png

Anonymity and cissy3 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.